Cart #super_mumtaz_bros-4 | 2021-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In Super Mumtaz Bros. you join the titular plumbing brothers on their mission to rescue Princess Sana from... chickens?

•Hunt down radioactive chickens by using the Geiger counter!

•Break pipes!

•Repair pipes!

•Run around!

•Climb!

•Platform action!

•Discover secrets!

•Collect trophies!

•No jumping!*

Super Mumtaz Bros. is a highly realistic plumbing simulator that was made in Pico-8 for Toy Box Jam 2 from 18th December 2020 to 3rd January 2020.

Tips

Ali can find chickens stuck in pipes using his Geiger counter. He can then stomp on pipes to get the chickens out.

Bilal can spend money to place new pipes. You'll need to find money to pay for pipes.

The Geiger counter clicks more the closer you are to a chicken. The rings turn orange when you're really close. Stomp the pipe when you're in the right spot!

You can't jump*. So use the terrain to your advantage!

Development

I worked on this steadily over the (initial) two weeks of the jam. Sticking to daily updates on Twitter forced me to stick to developing it on time. The initial mechanics and mechanics were based on Nerdy Teachers' excellent platformer tutorial series on YouTube.

My airy fairy arty farty Peter-Molydeux-style idea/gimmick for this game was 'a platformer game where you can't jump'. Well, turns out you can (sort of) jump, but it's about as useful as jumping is in real life. Also, I thought it would be funny to make a Mario game where you actually have to do some plumbing.

Trivia

Mumtaz Brother is a real shop in the town where I grew up. The shop owners are a little eccentric; besides plumbing and D.I.Y. supplies they have at various times also sold groceries, rented out Bollywood videos, you name it. They expanded their business by opening a second plumbers merchants... next door to their original shop. If you can't find something in one shop, 'try next next door.'

Version history

1.04 Fixed another version of the character swap/wall collision bug from 1.03, added sound effects to tutorial objectives, changed the size of tutorial objective boxes and changed the size of Bilal's target box
1.03 Fixed a bug that let players move through walls by holding the character swap button
1.02 Fixed a bug when climbing, improved the tutorial
1.01 Fixed a typo, adjusted ending requirements
1.0 Initial release

P#86116 2021-01-04 00:39 ( Edited 2021-02-15 16:54)

Amazing, If I have problems and start hearing clucking I know who to call now!

P#86118 2021-01-04 01:30

This is clever and fun, I hope to see it on Newgrounds soon :) I do have a question—in the end screen, it says "You missed 0 leaky pipes". Is it possible to finish without fixing all the pipes? It didn't seem to let me when I tried. (Also, there's a typo: "Job fininshed".)

P#86136 2021-01-04 09:24

@hahhah42 thanks glad you enjoyed it! I do plan on putting it onto Newgrounds, maybe in a week or so, once I've got rid of any last bugs (can't believe I let a typo slip through).

It's technically possible to complete the game without fixing all the leaky pipes, but you'd have to run out of money first, and you'd have to be doing really badly to be in that position. I might change how the ending worked, I just didn't want a player to just go through the exit straight away and not understand what was happening.

I fixed that typo and tweaked the ending a little bit, updated to 1.01.

P#86138 2021-01-04 16:56 ( Edited 2021-01-04 19:15)

I think I'm stuck on first screen. I no longer get the giger counter showing anything on the first screen. And the path is blocked.

Okay apparently I had to break and fix a piece of pipe that didn't have chicken.

Finished now that was fun.

P#86200 2021-01-06 10:06 ( Edited 2021-01-06 10:39)

@SquidLight glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, the tutorial teaches you how to break the pipes.

P#86201 2021-01-06 13:36

@extar I meant to say the comedy is on point too. I enjoyed the game and the metagame.

Play length seemed about right for the mechanics you have. are you doing a video on this one? I only realised this was you after noticing you produced brave pixel.

P#86230 2021-01-07 13:17

@SquidLight thanks for checking out Brave Pixel! With my games I usually try and aim for playtime of about fifteen minutes or so playing through the game 'normally'. I might record a video/commentary at some point but the next things I'm going to be recording are some playthroughs of some of the other games in the jam :)

P#86246 2021-01-07 20:51

It took me over an hour to finish that. It is the best game I have ever played :)

P#88888 2021-03-12 19:06

@MaximumTough Haha wow that's high praise. Glad you enjoyed it!

P#88921 2021-03-13 14:25

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 17:17:03 | 0.084s | Q:33