FIRST GAME - DESTRUCTOID - WIP

Cart #destructoid-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<br>
You have 60 seconds to score as high as u can.
My first game in Pico8. Made as a challenge from another.
Perhaps I will post more info later...
Built using ZEP collision example.
Still a few minor bugs to fix...
MEANWHILE my top score is 4000.
Give it a shot?

P#71504 2019-12-29 19:45 ( Edited 2019-12-29 19:48)

This game is an entry into the Applecart, a weekly Sunday series. You can find more information about it HERE.

Now I get to review this entry.

First off if you are wondering why it is so very different from the original cart is because I could not find a video in Youtube for it. So all I could do was give a description - the best of what I could remember from that machine-language 6502-assembly game that many years ago.

It's clear to see though that @chizel9000 did not disappoint !

Taking my simple sprites he expanded upon them and even added some cool animation to the cart with a great scene of stars and a meter showing when your laser is ready to fire.

He also added treads to the simple "tank" that I remember from the original cart - which didn't have any. Very creative and great programming effort here.

Nicely done, and of course, a gold star for you for participating in APPLECART !

P#71516 2019-12-30 01:43

Very fun! Animation and gameplay are great. Really gives me the feeling of an old Apple ][ or Atari game.

Some notes:

• When I pressed x to start the game, my tank immediately fired so I had to wait to fire again.
  • Player and enemy can go off screen.
  • Timer seems slow.
  • There were a few times I thought I hit the UFO but it didn't register, particularly after I'd taken damage.
  • UFO can do tons of damage on a single fire cycle, whereas player can only get one hit at a time. This isn't so much a complaint as an observation. As I'm sure you know, games are rarely "fair" LOL ;-)

I haven't looked at your code yet, but based just on playing it this is super solid for your first PICO-8 cart. Awesome job!

P#71536 2019-12-30 17:44

@Nosnibor28 Thanxu! Some of its intentional some of its not... its a WIP. I hope to update again next Sunday. :)
Look forward to updates! I made explosions much better... Lots more to do and still familiarizing w pico8...

P#71548 2019-12-30 19:19

nice game! I really like it, the sounds fit very good and also the way the UFO is coming back on screen once you push it off screen.
There is just one little tiny thing bothering me, when you enter the UFO's laser, you always get pushed to the right, even if you enter it coming from the left. That's something I would change.
I love the stars though, very nice background! Also the display of the weapon is designed very neatly :) Good start in Pico-8 for sure :D

P#72039 2020-01-17 00:48

nice game! I really like it, the sounds fit very good and also the way the UFO is coming back on screen once you push it off screen.
There is just one little tiny thing bothering me, when you enter the UFO's laser, you always get pushed to the right, even if you enter it coming from the left. That's something I would change.
I love the stars though, very nice background! Also the display of the weapon is designed very neatly :) Good start in Pico-8 for sure :D

P#72044 2020-01-17 00:48

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 10:13:43 | 0.036s | Q:24