Hi,

I recently published my first game on the BBS.

1) Is there currently any way to see stats on how many times it's been played?
2) How does a game become "featured?"

Thanks!

P#68995 2019-10-18 00:53

1) has been on Zep's todo list for a while, but I'm not sure it's available yet.

2) no idea, it might be curated or maybe an algorithm.
Your game's pretty cool though so I'm sure it'll pop up there sooner or later. (could perhaps benefit from an intro though, as it took me a little while to understand what was going on!)

edit: oops, I guess I finally found the formatting code for humongous text.

P#68997 2019-10-18 01:07 ( Edited 2019-10-18 01:12)

Thank you @Catatafish and for the suggestion!

(Agreed, Tailpipe could use more cues on what to expect. Trying to strike a balance between the fun of discovery and playability.)

P#68999 2019-10-18 01:15

Lazzoak, you also have to consider the temperament of players. As for me, I'm really not very fond of action games and that includes a wide variety:

• Platformers
  • Shooters
  • Racers
  • Fighters
  • Battlers

And instead prefer these:

• Relaxed play puzzles
  • Board games
  • Card games
  • Dice games
  • Battle cards
  • RPGs
  • Rogues
  • Crawlers
  • Strategies
  • Tacticals
  • Zens

I do like some action puzzles too if they are well written.

I will also praise a cart if it is strikingly different or original from all the others or what has ever been done in the arcade, home consoles, portable consoles, or the Android. There are a few unique Pico-8 titles that break the mold on originality, and they most certainly do deserve all the stars they have received.

Sometimes it's a tribute to an arcade classic, I can also really like these if it can bring back the fun of the original arcade game to me from those many years ago.

However, you're not going to write a cart that everyone is going to like no matter how well it is written because we're all a little different in the head.

Me personally I always give the bump up and positive star to just about anyone who posts a good puzzle or TYT top-view tiles adventure game.

If it's in one of those categories I like and it takes literal days or weeks to play yet continues to save your progress so you can get further and further in the game over time without losing your place if you bring it up again later, that will always get my highest appreciation and applause.

For instance, Dungeo The Lich Queen 1.3 by @nephilim is highest on my list of must play games at the moment. And I've been playing it for several days now. Before that was Wandering Magic by @Overkill, before that, Pico Monsters, etc.

We're all different.

P#69000 2019-10-18 01:37 ( Edited 2019-10-18 02:26)

Glad you're enjoying Dungeo!

P#69009 2019-10-18 13:44

Thanks @dw817 for that perspective. Totally agree. My game is definitely for the shooter fans.

@Catatafish - love the effects carts you posted!

P#69012 2019-10-18 14:22

@dw817
Maybe you like to take a look at my turnbased strategy demake of dictator...

P#69255 2019-10-25 12:58

Your game is definitely there, Toddl. But yeah, that's a bit deep strategy for me. It's more like Romance Of The Three Kingdoms, which I found difficult to play.

Now I like a good RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics.

https://youtu.be/F97NSY2ll1E?t=411

The deepest true strategy games I've played and really liked are Defender Of The Crown:

https://youtu.be/NK1h8knGGnE?t=48

The original Hammurabi:

https://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=78

And Apple ]['s own Lemonade:

https://youtu.be/0dUbDDmXp2I?t=7

Anything more complex than that is difficult for me to play.

P#69265 2019-10-25 15:51 ( Edited 2019-10-25 17:46)

Sorry for the shameless plug 😂

P#69268 2019-10-25 17:43

The set of Pico-8 games that really impress me, and the set of Pico-8 games that I play more than once don't necessarily overlap.

There are some games here that are really impressive pieces of work that would take a minimum of twenty hours to really appreciate. And if this was still 1992, I would absolutely dedicate that time to to them. ... but it's not. I mostly fire up Pico-8 on lunchbreaks, not for all-weekend gaming marathons.

The ones I keep coming back to are usually either casual puzzlers or action games that are easy to get into.

P#69273 2019-10-25 20:18

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 15:18:12 | 0.020s | Q:27