This may be old hat to you veterans, but is there an easier way to look for a non-value than this ?

function sum(a,b)
  if a==nil or a=="" or b==nil or b=="" then
    return
  end
((rest of function)
end
P#68453 2019-10-04 16:19 ( Edited 2019-10-04 18:14)

If you don't need to check for "", then you could just do:

function sum(a,b)
 if (not a or not b) return

--blah blah code
end

Otherwise, you'd probably have to do

function sum(a,b)
 if (not a or not b or a=="" or b=="") return

--blah blah code
end
P#68454 2019-10-04 16:55

Yep, I need to check for any of those. Sposers I could do a _n=nil global to save me a few keystrokes later. I like what you did there with the (not a or not b or a=="" or b=="") thing.

Sweet.

Welp, I'm working on a calculator right now - or rather the function to calculate. Got that Sprite-flag thingy done, going back to work on the gaming calculator, which does use parentheses amongst other things.

Wanted to separate the code first that does the actual calculation afores I put it in the main cart.

Thanks for the help, MBoffin !

P#68458 2019-10-04 18:05

You got my brain spinning now that I see NOT is a possible operand. This also works:

if not(a and b) then
  print"at least one is nil"
end
P#68463 2019-10-04 18:26 ( Edited 2019-10-04 18:27)

If your question isn't just "how do I make this as short as possible" but is "in terms of characters how do I make this as short as possible in all the functions I use it in", then - presuming each calculator function needs to perform the same checks - you could send it out to another function.

If that was obvious, or wasn't the question, please disregard. (Really I feel like I'm answering something other than the question, and shouldn't click submit.)

function sum(a,b)
 if (n(a,b)) return
 --code
end

function n(a,b)
 return a==nil or b==nil or a=="" or b==""
end

(code untested)

P#68464 2019-10-04 18:55 ( Edited 2019-10-04 19:00)

Already there, REM.

-- return true if nil or ""
function nnil(a)
  if a==_n or a=="" then
    return _1
  end
  return _0
end--nnil(.)

Your code is tighter though and well written. A definite improvement over mine. Nicely done !

While I've got you on the horn, is there a way to go through a number of arguments ?

IE:

function countargs()
  for i=1,#args(countargs) do
    print(i.." "..arg(countargs,i))
  end
end

You could call it for instance with this:
countargs(3,4)
results would be:

1 3
2 4
P#68472 2019-10-04 20:15 ( Edited 2019-10-04 22:47)

Presumably as I've been offline for about 12 hours you've had a chance to look into this.

But anyway, because it's interesting for me to know these things I researched. Standard Lua would use ... for the parameters and reference them with arg.

printResult = ""

function print (...)
      for i,v in ipairs(arg) do
        printResult = printResult .. tostring(v) .. "\t"
      end
      printResult = printResult .. "\n"
    end

Source: lua.org

(I can't get that snippet + a few lines to test it to run at the Lua demo. They tell me my argument is nil. It's early here; perhaps it's me.)

In pico-8 even changing ipairs to pairs won't get that to work - there doesn't seem to be the name "arg" to work with. (Did I miss something?)

So you'd need to pass all your arguments as a table or string instead. Passing them as a table is anyway what Lua does:

"The three dots (...) in the parameter list indicate that the function has a variable number of arguments. When this function is called, all its arguments are collected in a single table, which the function accesses as a hidden parameter named arg. Besides those arguments, the arg table has an extra field, n, with the actual number of arguments collected."

Source as above.

With a table:

function countargs(arg)
 for i,v in pairs(arg) do
  print(i.." "..v)
 end
end

countargs({0,1,2,3,"a","b","c"})

I won't provide a snippet of anything similar with a string because my instinct is that you'd be better off making a table of your separated tokens as soon as possible - preferably at the moment when the calculator button is pressed - then working with the table. (Besides which pico-8 doesn't provide functions for a lot of string processing.)

(As a disclaimer, pico-8 and Lua are relatively new to me.)

P#68505 2019-10-05 06:38 ( Edited 2019-10-05 06:43)

Yeah, was trying to avoid sending an array. Maybe this is something ZEP can come up with.

I know I wouldn't be the only one who would benefit from the ARG() and ARGS() function.

Thanks for your research and workaround though, remcode.

P#68519 2019-10-05 15:15 ( Edited 2019-10-05 15:20)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 06:29:12 | 0.007s | Q:18