Cart #regolith_steam_v2-0 | 2019-09-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi. Here's a WIP that I'm starting to like. It's my first game. It def took me longer than expected :).

My goal was to simulate an aspect of asteroid mining that requires hopping between asteroids using steam as fuel and regolith (dirt) for shielding. I wanted a turn-based procedural world that's difficult to traverse.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. I'm still working on how to arrange these asteroids in increasingly challenging ways.

Brief Overview

You are an asteroid mining prospector trainee.

You are remotely controlling an asteroid prospecting spacecraft.

You have a limited map of the asteroid belt your spacecraft sits within. This map shows a rough approximation of the materials each asteroid contains.

It's your job to land the craft on an asteroid and gather more data about what the asteroid contains. You then sell this information for future mining missions.

The value of this information fluctuates relative to the whims of the market.

In this training exercise, your goal is to get to the Zone 5 market.

Don't let your fuel (water) or shields (dirt/regolith) get too low or your craft will become unusable.

Controls and Interface

You move between asteroids with the arrow keys. Use x key to start or continue.

Asteroids can contain a variety of materials.

Three materials can be sold on the market:

Pink-ite : pink in your map
Green-ite: green in your map
Yellow-ite: yellow in your map

When you land on an asteroid with these materials:

1. you will be charged a fee
  2. you will automatically sell them on the market
  3. these materials will no longer be availble to you for selling

In your control panel, the far left two vertical bars indicate the amount of market materials your craft has detected.

The third bar from the left indicates the money/gold you have. The red dots at the top of this bar indicate the cost of landing on an asteroid, with market materials, in this market.

You receive gold based on the volume of the market materials found relative to the current exchange rate.

The exchange rate, for a particular Zone's market is shown in the area above your map. These rates cycle through three variants each day. The center exchange rate is applied today. The bottom rate is what will happen tomorrow. The top rate is what happened yesterday.

When your gold has reached the top of the bar, your spacecraft's fuel and shield algorithm will be upgraded. Press x to continue. After upgrade, you will get gold equivalent to the green dots next to the gold bar.

Two other materials can be on asteroids:

Water : blue in your map
Regolith (dirt) : brown in your map

You hop between asteroids by heating water and generating steam. Water can be found on some asteroids, represented as blue in your map, for refueling.

You protect yourself from the sun by coating your spacecraft with regolith (brown dirt) found on the asteroid. Regolith can be found on some asteroids to replenish your shields.

Your fuel (blue water) and shield (brown regolith/dirt) levels are shown in the two bars to the right of your map. The red dots at the top of these indicates how much they are reduced when you move. The green dots indicate how much these bars are replenished when landing on an asteroid that contains water or dirt.

Your shield and fuel usage will be upgraded as you max out your gold. This will help you get to Zone 5.

Thanks and Backstory

Thanks go out to feedback on my initial asteroid generation effort by @freds72 :https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=34135 . I indeed used the 3d library by @electricgryphon. I used rasterization code from @creamdog.

Inspiration for the backstory via the following cool articles:
https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/rogolith_derived_heat/
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612999/steam-powered-spacecraft-could-jump-start-asteroid-exploration/
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3304/1
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2019/01/14/steam-powered-asteroid-hopper-offers-revolutionary-new-way-to-explore-our-solar-system/#7a59520f500b

P#68301 2019-09-30 19:32 ( Edited 2019-09-30 19:50)

I don't think I really know what is going on here or how to play effectively - but it sure is cool looking.

Gets my STAR.

P#68307 2019-09-30 22:12

Thanks @dw817 . I think you're right that it's not obvious how to play. I need to work on that.

P#68314 2019-10-01 14:46

Same here - no clue what’s happening but it sure looks good!

P#68316 2019-10-01 17:46

I really love the art style. It's really unique effect and has 3D effects to boot! I will agree that I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do, but it has a lot of promise.

P#68396 2019-10-03 02:52

Thanks @freds72 and @aquova. It's good to hear that it's looking good.

Did either of you have a chance to read the descriptive text below the game? If so, did it help or confuse?

Is there a particular part that is confusing?

Maybe I need to have some intro process and assume that no text will be read.

I did try to make the early surrounding asteroids full of water and dirt.

Thanks again.

P#68408 2019-10-03 15:46

The hud is too abstract imho.

P#68409 2019-10-03 16:08

Ah, ok. Got it.

P#68410 2019-10-03 16:37

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:56:58 | 0.034s | Q:29