Cart #floppy_launcher-2 | 2022-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I built a Raspberry Pi PICO-8 console that uses floppy disks, but SPLORE doesn't work great for browsing a floppy: you have to wait for the preview image of a cart to load before you can scroll past it. For a disk with more than one or two cartridges on it, this is a frustrating experience. Additionally, SPLORE is a little finicky about reloading the floppy contents if you swap out the disk.

To get around this, I boot this cartridge instead of booting into SPLORE, which provides a quicker floppy browsing experience and correctly picks up a new disk if you choose "reset cart" from the menu. It's a pretty rough hack, but I'm sharing it here in case anyone finds any pieces of it useful.

Obviously running it here on the BBS is an exercise in futility.

Revision 1 (2019-08-03)

Added: scrolling when there are more than 15 carts

Revision 2 (2022-11-27)

Added: ability to load subdirectories
Changed: update usage of ls and cd to account for changes in PICO-8 v0.2.2 and v0.2.5
Fixed: minor scroll indictor bug
Fixed: crash when loaded from the BBS or SPLORE

It's really beautiful, man 😄

Everything from the concept to the code to the console you built!

Kudos!!

the idea is soooo great...
i created some arcade mashienes with pico8 but now the idea of adding a floppy drive... it's like making physikal roms. i made a floppy for every game so you can inserd one and start directly into the cart. great idea thank you a lot :-)

Very inspirational, thanks. I too am hoping to make some kind of physical-storage-media pi for exclusive pico8 use and this is an unexpected idea!

Won't run in BBS, says, no cartridges found.

Running from load in immediate mode gives me an odd selection.

That's even after having created a directory called "floppy" and pointing to it.

Great little program! In fact I wanted to add a USB floppy drive to my PI, Is there a chance we can see it in action on the PI?

Cart #nuneyirawa-0 | 2019-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Also added a little jingle to your start up =]

@ScrubSandwich I love it! I should definitely add a jingle. (Or just copy yours!)

Here's a new tweet with the launcher in action: https://twitter.com/markegli/status/1174150044787695616
(the eagle-eyed may spot a new feature I'm in the process of adding)

@dw817 I poked around, but I can't reproduce anything like what you're seeing. Is the floppy directory you created inside your home path? If so, are you trying to mount a drive to it? Is it the correct drive?

If instead of just "run" you type "run /" it will list the cartridges in your home directory instead of in a "floppy" directory, so you could try that.

Tried RUN / as well.

Checked the DIR() command. Seems to work fine. I'm not understanding your code. I'm a basic programmer here that could be why.

May try and write my own cart-select-menu a little later - and hopefully run into the same error so I can isolate what's causing it.

[Please log in to post a comment]