... would make the internal code editor much more usable!
Could be done by clicking the function keyword (toggle) for example.

You might want to try an external code editor?

I use Sublime Text and TextMate on Mac OS X which both offer that feature.

I would also love this function!

@matt that works for PC, but it'd greatly help folks using a PocketCHIP.
I'd also like this feature, though, even though I don't have one of those.

To me the the whole "fantasy console" illusion is broken if you're not doing 100% of your development in Pico-8. Every time I've tried to use an outside editor it just bummed me out. To me it's an imaginary computer first and a game maker second. So I think any internal editor improvements would be awesome, as long as the fit with the already established design aesthetic.

@zerocoolisgod — I second that.

@zerocoolisgod - I also second that ;)

if you're not on mac, I use notepad++, it works great( sublime looks really good, but no windows support :/ ) nvm I'm wrong. imho the text editor is great and the font is impressively clear for its dimensions, but I guess it depends what you want to get out of pico, I'm just here because I thought programming in a constrained environment would be fun, but I respect the immersion bit.

Warning about de-sync issues with external editor: if you decide to use an external editor, you need to be aware that any time you open any of the editor/sprite/sfx/music/map screens in pico, you will have to save (ctrl + s ) when done and reload the external editor, otherwise when you make changes in the external editor, pico won't update ( de-synced )

I would also like code folding. BTW in case anyone is unaware of this feature, using ALT+UP/DOWN will jump between functions. Helpful for navigating.

@EatMoreCheese notepad++ has a similar feature with bookmarks, it is really helpful. It makes me feel better about not having multiple files, but they reset on file reload anyone know a fix?

@EatMoreCheese
The ALT+UP/DOWN is super helpful. My only issue is it does not see methods inside objects like;

local player={
 update=function(self)
  do stuff
 end
}

So if you have an object that is getting pretty long it can be a pain. I do my Game States as tables of functions that get wicked long. So I end up making empty functions as a sort of label to trick ALT+UP into seeing it.

please! this would make the internal editor much more usable =)

[Please log in to post a comment]