Follow
kozie

Web & software developer at Cream Internetbureau. Interests: Coding, Interwebz, Pixels, Game dev, PICO-8. Sucker for old school. Yada yada

Source: https://twitter.com/kozie87

SHOW MORE

Cart #15112 | 2015-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #15044 | 2015-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #15034 | 2015-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

==============
Arrow keys: move cursor
Z: move player to cursor

Hi!

I did like to share a simple test with a simple pathfinding mechanism which i learned mostly from this website (Red Blob Games).

When opening the code, one could set the flooddebug var to true to be able to see how the pathfinding finds its route.

What i did like to know is the following: When choosing a path further away from the 'player' it takes quite some time to eventually finish the pathfinding. Is this some limitation tied to PICO-8, is it bad coding or a combination of both?

Thanks in advance and have fun.

Cheers!

Update
It seems the speed is just fine. Tho, turning on the flooddebug makes it slow again. I guess while developing the pico instance got i little bit slow.. or the computer i used (at work) is just weird.

Anyways, i updated the cart (to 1.1) with a target indicator :)

Update 2
Back at work now, reran the 1.1 version again. The speed seems indeed just fine. I'm not quite sure why it was slow yesterday, even with the flooddebug turned off. I guess it was just a process or memory bug/thing. Well, whatever :)

Update 3
Added v1.2 which has some more fancyness, like animating background, indicator and sound.

P#15035 2015-10-06 09:31 ( Edited 2015-10-07 21:44)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 09:34:01 | 0.070s | Q:12