Cart #57897 | 2018-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A partial port of Kid Radd from the classic Seveightgo Entertainment Unit (səu)

The original ROM is hard to come across on the web nowadays. They started mysteriously self-destructing sometime around 2003, and the ones that are still intact seem to have a lot of data missing... Forgive me if this replica isn't exactly how you remember it, I don't have a good reference for most of this.

Changelog:

Unreleased

• Reset Radd's "on ground" property between levels so if you're jumping at fadeout you don't immediately get stuck "landing" when the next level loads.

Alpha 19

• Reset Radd's invulnerability frames between lives. (bug fix)
  • Reset momentum after taking damage. (bug fix)
  • Made health persistent across levels and saving.
  • Made next powerup spawn persistent across saving.
  • Re-enabled Radd's wider variety of intermission screen facial expressions and added a new one.
    • Radd will have a happy face at the next stage's title card if you cleared the stage without taking damage.
    • Radd will have a serious/angry face when respawning for his last life.
    • New: Radd will have a surprised/scared face when clearing a stage on your last life with only 1 hit point left.
  • Removed the "Sharp Painful Object Land" stage title, it turns out that was just a punchline made up for the webcomic.
  • Added label rendering to gs_title (A proper "label screen" hadn't been done since alpha 11.)
  • Clear enemies while exiting the stage in level clear state (bug fix)

Alpha 18

• Added proper damage and death states for the player and enemies.
  • Added death sprites for enemies
  • Compacted SFX into quarter sfx units, and added a few new ones.
  • New sfx player function, to manage sound channels and priorities effectively for minimal impact on the music.
  • Added unique behaviors for Bogus (underground Bogey)
  • Added "powerups" to heal Radd.
  • Renamed most of the stages.

Alpha 17

• Added entity-to-entity collision possibilities. (Bogey can now bump into eachother.)
  • Simplified tile collision handling for most entities.
  • Added the ability to charge and shoot Radd Beams (but they can't interact with enemies yet)
  • Split the source code into those newfangled tab-pages.
  • Added CPU counter to sprite viewer.
  • Lowered music volume further to not compete with sfx.

Alpha 16

• Minor text processing optimizations
  • Added scenery for Yellow Brick Road (flowers, clouds)
  • New intermission font.
  • New Yellow Brick Road end screen.
  • More (empty) level slots explorable.
  • Implemented compression for the main player sprite bank (which was full) to also hold the intermission font. (This makes the Sprite Test screen really interesting, depending on whether you view it before or after going to a level...)
  • Implemented death pit functionality (Object to object collision is still missing.)

Alpha 15

• Added a brief "landing" pause between jumps
  • Fixed up map and collision systems to accommodate maps larger than 1024 pixels wide with wraparound.
  • Added simplified stage clear sequence.
  • Removed menu sfx to make room for stage clear jingle. :( Removing sfx for music is a tradeoff I've been making way too much with this project...
  • Re-added background scenery objects to Radical Boardwalk.
  • Added a new kind of platform collision for underground.
  • Added underground enemies.

Alpha 14

• Finally got the map tiles up again, and now they actually have proper collision!
  • Added another string parser for entity animation data.
  • Added Radd, Bogey, and jumping physics.
  • The engine rewrite finally paid off.

Alpha 13

• Fleshed out a lot more sprite mappings, including Radd's shoot animations, projectiles, alt. enemy colors, ...
  • Moved fade colormap data out of the source code into sprite #255
  • Clear title screen graphics out of shared sprite memory and put active map tile data there in-game.

Alpha 12
I'm in the middle of an engine rewrite to simplify things and compact the data and stuff.

• Added more sprites and sound effects.
  • Added the actual "boss" music. (Listen to it on the sound test menu!)
  • Removed Bogey landing sound effect. There's not enough space for it at the moment!
  • Moved Sound Test to a new debug stuff menu if you press "right" at the title screen.
  • Added a Sprite Test to go with the Sound Test.
  • Game is no longer in an even slightly playable state, again. u_u; But it will come out better than before, surely!

Alpha 11

• Added a sound test, including the currently unused tracks that are completed in the game.
  • Broke/disabled the limited entity --> tile collision code, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this across nonlinear map segments and whatnot...
  • Fixed the exceedingly minor death animation bug.

Alpha 10

• Changed pain and death states to kill momentum instead of pausing
  • Added damage immunity flashing after pain
  • Death animation waits until floor impact (for future where there will be floorless rooms with an alternate death animation)
  • New map segment system implemented, getting the level geometry back again and highly optimized in memory.
  • New entity --> tile collision code partially implemented (but not even close to fully functional yet). Try watching the first enemy in the game for a while.
  • Bug: This build broke the last part of Radd's death animation (woops)

Alpha 9

• Added per sub-sprite flipping and palette remapping, for advanced effects and optimizations.
  • Added pain / death / game over for the player.
  • Still no level geometry or win condition. I'm getting there...

Alpha 8

• Expanded jumping mechanics to allow better freedom of movement and a tiny delay before jumping.
  • Lowered walking speed to make the air movement speed difference feel less conspicuous.
  • Added sfx for jumping, landing, and title screen menu
  • Lowered music volumes so the music doesn't totally drown out sfx...
  • Added a bunch more player sprites in preparation for a fully functional game. (unused)

Alpha 7

• Fixed music bugs relating to title screen (dissonant notes, way too fast song speed)
  • Packed in a lot more sprites (unused)
  • Rewrote entity animation system to handle multiple connected sprites per frame of animation. (no visual difference to the user, but it made sprite sheet optimizations possible.)
  • Temporarily removed complex map geometry.
  • Added "underground" song (unused)
  • Synchronized enemies
  • Added jumping ability.

Alpha 6

• Added title screen, title music, and screen fades.
  • Changed background rendering to a dynamic looping scene, in preparation for map crushing.

Alpha 5

• Added non-interactive enemies.
  • Changed sky color to light grey.

Alpha 4

• Redid music (I'm getting the hang of this system now...)

Previous engine iteration (Alpha 1 to 11)

Cart #16058 | 2015-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#15859 2015-10-26 03:55 ( Edited 2018-10-13 19:29)

Nice music and artwork!

P#15884 2015-10-26 20:18 ( Edited 2015-10-27 00:18)

Yeah, I'm interested to see where this goes.

P#15885 2015-10-26 20:22 ( Edited 2015-10-27 00:22)

Noticed some issues in the music, that'll fixed for the next version but I'm in the middle of major sprite compacting that requires lots of code rewrites right now...

P#15942 2015-10-27 21:03 ( Edited 2015-10-28 01:03)

was running right, pressed z and got this:

BTW, love the sosumi corp ;)

P#15991 2015-10-29 06:36 ( Edited 2015-10-29 10:38)

Starting to think I should be writing blog posts about developing this instead of having put it in the WIP section...

P#15994 2015-10-29 08:24 ( Edited 2015-11-05 18:28)

im so glad someone else remembers kid radd :3

P#16469 2015-11-09 18:54 ( Edited 2015-11-09 23:54)

Yeah. :D

I'm getting distracted and making a lot of other little things on the side, but if I could bring Kid Radd to the Pico-8, it would truly be my magnum opus.

P#16484 2015-11-10 03:07 ( Edited 2015-11-10 08:07)

thank you for the definitive proof that kid radd wasn't just a fever dream i had 10 years ago

P#16549 2015-11-11 13:40 ( Edited 2015-11-11 18:40)

Kid Radd was almost definitely a real game for a real console in the real world and not at all a collective fever dream we had 10 years ago of which remains little to no proof that it ever even existed in the first place. I'm almost 27% certain!

P#16570 2015-11-11 22:56 ( Edited 2015-11-12 03:56)

The dream isn't dead, but it's actually really ambitious to try and cram all of this in here without cutting corners... Kid Radd is just full of so many giant sprites and animations and music... The music..! I barely even have enough sfx slots left over for the basics.

Will have to look into compressing and swapping the soundtrack out like sprite banks so that more general sfx can have the legroom they need.

And the gameplay itself is only fractionally there, with no object to object collisions still... Still so much to do! When I run out of code space it'll all be over, I probably won't even have enough room to implement the final boss even if it's the only boss in the game.

P#41433 2017-06-09 03:18 ( Edited 2017-06-09 07:18)

Love it!

Too bad about the space limitations. Have you considered using multiple carts? The original game made good use of bank switching if I remember correctly.

(I really want to see an RPG level now)

P#41457 2017-06-09 10:23 ( Edited 2017-06-09 14:23)

I would, but then it wouldn't work on the BBS. It seems like that would be better to use that for development purposes, eg. load uncompressed sprite banks from other carts to begin with but compress everything and replace the loader with decompression later.

P#41474 2017-06-09 12:05 ( Edited 2017-06-09 16:05)

Is this related tot he NES game Totally Rad? I loved that game when I was younger. I remember being in Toys R Us and pleading with my parents to get it for me (which they did not, I got it months later from a relative as a christmas present). Fun game, hard though, never made it past level 3 or 4.

Anyway, sorry for the potentially off topic comment. Your game looks great! Good music too!

P#41476 2017-06-09 12:48 ( Edited 2017-06-09 16:48)

Good eye! It's sort of an alternate-universe mix-spoof of both Totally Rad and Kid Kool (hence the title.) It turns out this is a lot more apparent with Pico-8's limited palette making it appear similar to nes colors rather than the səu originals.

Or it's supposed to be like that, anyway. I personally only know anything about the former, and only recently learned how "MegaMan" games are supposed to work, so the physics miiight be a bit off. ^^;;

If you'd like to know more, you can read about it on a backup mirror webpage here.
https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd/index.htm

P#41477 2017-06-09 12:50 ( Edited 2017-06-09 17:00)

Cool! Thanks! :)

P#41483 2017-06-09 13:23 ( Edited 2017-06-09 17:23)

Updated to "Alpha 18" today. I am pleased to announce that the game is finally in a "playable" state, although it's not particularly "good".

I believe this is the last version I'll call "alpha", because the next thing to do is implement ninjas and maybe the apple projectile, then it's ready for "beta", where I start working on detailed level layouts.

buuut I'm already at 95% compressed code capacity, so I'm gonna have to start compacting, simplifying, and stripping things out just to make more space soon.

Edit: aaand then I release a giant bugfixes patch the same day. heh.

P#57891 2018-10-13 00:42 ( Edited 2018-10-13 19:21)

How are things coming along?

P#67722 2019-09-16 01:54

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 15:33:22 | 0.022s | Q:40