Cart #red_barron_v2_3-0 | 2023-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Updates

v2.3

• fixed a bug where you could kill the bosses with the shield
  • added two extra levels

v2.2

• added shield collision with enemies, hitting an enemy with the shield will destroy both the shield and the enemy

v2.1

• more balanced lootdrops, they are now a lot less random.

v2.0

• fixed lvl 4 weapon on player 2 not working
  • fixed shields for player 2

v1.9

• added a supercharge pickup. this will give you a 50% bonus firerate
  • improved the game over and win screens to look more polished
  • made it so that killing a mini-boss will drop you 5 coins and one random pickup
  • adjusted the hud, score is now shown at the bottom center, this fixes the overlap with healthbars from bosses
  • improved the shield pickup, it now looks more like a forcefield and it blinks when it's about to run out. I also added a shockwave and soundfx on enemy projectile impact
  • removed score rendering on game over screen as it's already rendered inside the text window. this also allowed for me to move the enemy waves a tiny bit to the top of the screen giving more play-area

v1.8

• added a shield pickup. you will gain a shield for 15s that protects you from frontal projectile impact

v1.7

• Improved the visibility of the enemy aimed shot sprite
  • Depending on the level you're at, there will be 1 to 3 aimed shots per enemy
  • Redone the player muzzle flash, it now takes up less tokens and increases in size depending on your weapon level and looks nicer.
  • Added weapon level 4 (dual shot)
  • Made a story and some more info on my website

v1.6

• Fixed a bug in the healthbars

v1.5

• Added health bars to mini-bosses and boss

v1.4

• Merged Sup3rAw3som3Gam3rs contribution to lower token count

v.13

• Increased difficulty on normal and hard
  • Fixed crashing issues with pickups
  • Fixed crashing issues with player 2's controls when only one player was selected
  • Removed help from menu to give me extra tokens to do the above

About Red Barron

Get ready to take on an intergalactic invasion in Red Barron, the modern take on classic shmup games like Galaga and Space Invaders! With its retro pixel graphics, CRT effect, and nostalgic soundtrack, Red Barron delivers an authentic 8-bit arcade experience.

As Red Barron, you'll pilot your fighter ship through wave after wave of enemy attacks, dodging and weaving to avoid incoming fire while blasting your foes out of the sky. Upgrade your ship with power-ups and wreak havock.

Now available on Android: Get Red Barron on the Google Playstore for free and ad free.

CONTROLS

Player 1

• movement: arrow keys - dpad or analog
  • shoot: X or V on keyboard - B on Xbox controller - O on Playstation controller
  • bombs: C on keyboard - A on Xbox controller - X on Playstation controller

Player 2

• movement: up = e, down = d, left = s, right = f - dpad or analog
  • shoot: A or Q on keyboard - B on Xbox controller - O on Playstation controller
  • bombs: TAB of L Shift on keyboard - A on Xbox controller - X on Playstation controller

General

• Pause: Enter
  • Select: shoot or bombs
  • Back: left arrow

HOW TO PLAY

Pickups and enemies

Player ships

Goal

Complete all 10 waves and beat the final boss at wave 11. Try to beak your highscore.

Tips

• Weapon powerups help A LOT, try to get them
  • Use your bombs wisely, they do loads of damage and they destroy enemy bullets
  • Getting hit will decrease your life and powerup by one
  • Try killing attacking enemies, they give you extra points. They shake before attacking
  • Collect the gold coins for bonus points
  • If you want more points, try setting the difficulty to a higher level. (default is normal)
  • If you find the game to hard, set the difficulty to easy
  • If you want to play with a friend co-op, you'll need to set players to 2 in the settings.

-
-
-

Special thanks to: Krystian Majewski for making this possible, my 6 years old daughter Rosalie who drew some of the enemies and my wife for her support. Sup3rAw3som3Gam3r for saving me loads of tokens

Good luck and enjoy!
Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you liked or disliked in the game.

P#127935 2023-03-31 20:28 ( Edited 2023-04-22 19:59)

Wow, so far it seems like it’s Space Invaders but low-res and with new enemies and power ups and I haven’t even played it yet!

P#127954 2023-04-01 06:37

Ok so now I played it and I love the music and graphics but either it’s too hard or I just suck at this game
(Spoiler alert: it’s not the first one)

P#127955 2023-04-01 06:41

Very cool "shmup", with good enemy and boss design. Definetly seeing the tutorial in this game, but this one's better. The pickups, medals, and just overall polish makes this game a blast. The difficulties don't seem to do much, and hard seemed easier. Also do you mind if i mod this? i have some ideas on how this can be improved:
Medal chaining: ( coins are worth more points the more you collected without dropping one )
Better difficulty: ( bullets are faster, and more bullets shot, maybe give the small enemies double shots or smth )
New enemy sprites: ( the boss and players look good, but the enemies look oddly bad. )
Overall, good game! Gold starrrr!

P#128259 2023-04-07 15:54

hold up that soundtrack seems to be from tyrian 2000 at the menu screen

P#128360 2023-04-09 17:18 ( Edited 2023-04-09 17:21)

the game crashes if you take a damage up while at max dmg

P#128560 2023-04-14 22:26

missed it at launch - very well done!

P#128619 2023-04-16 12:11

@HannesRoets I'm working on saving some tokens for you, I will post what I made when I am done

here is what I have so far

Cart #rb_ts-0 | 2023-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

also, I have some content ideas, if you want to hear them

P#128627 2023-04-16 18:49 ( Edited 2023-04-16 19:15)

Hi
First of: Thanks everyone so far for the feedback!

@kollumos
I've increased the difficulty on normal and hard, enemies have more hp, shoot more bullets and some move faster. Also the attack rate is increased and the firing rate while they are in wave formation increases.
I'll have a look at that coin feature when I can shave of more tokens.
I'm aware that some enemy sprites are not wonderfull, some of them are created by my 6y old daughter and I'm quite proud of that. So I decided that should stay, so everyone could see what she's done and she can be proud too.
As far as remixing, sure go ahaid as long as you give the game another name and don't use the sprites commercialy I'm fine with that. The name is actualy a name I came up with as a kid, so it has a sentimental value to me.

@blindlemoneyes10
Haha, indeed it is, I love that soundtrack so much I've decided to more or less re-create it in pico8

@Sup3rAw3som3Gam3r
I've fixed the crashing, I think it was because you had 2 of them pickups spawned at the same time they shouldn't spawn if you are already at lvl3. I've added a fix where it doesn't crash anymore now.
Wow, that would save me some tokens indeed! I got to work after your first comment and already shaved off some tokens with removing the help feature, i tought that wasn't realy that nice to have since it's on every site i've posted it and on my website. I'll try to merge your contribution to what i've done in the last update to get even more tokens for extra features.
I'd love to hear your suggestions!
[edit: I merged your contribution in v1.4]

cheers
Hannes

P#128636 2023-04-16 21:29 ( Edited 2023-04-16 22:45)

@HannesRoets

ideas: once you have lvl 3 dmg, lvl 4 makes both guns shoot at once
every x coins maybe gain an upgrade (something like +1 max bomb or life?)

maybe a pickup that temporarily supercharges your attack

maybe a shield powerup that blocks a single hit?

maybe even an "options" powerup?

also, what about a boss health bar (and possibly minibosses, in theory)

(also, with my new system, you could probably add more waves)

(that is all I can think of for now)

...wait, does bomb damage scale with your damage? (I think it shouldn't)
also, maybe the boss should drop powerups periodically

P#128640 2023-04-16 23:39 ( Edited 2023-04-16 23:54)

also, tuned up the sprites a bit, if you want these

[24x8]

[32x8]

P#128641 2023-04-17 00:11

@Sup3rAw3som3Gam3r

great ideas I'll see what I can do, I think the health bar on at least the boss is a must have. The other power ups are awesome but I'm not sure I'll be able to squize all those in.

I'll put them in this order:

• Health bars
  • Lvl 4 powerup
  • Shield
  • Supercharge
  • Coin link point increase + every x coins spawn a random upgrade
  • Boss drops powerups
  • More waves
  • Options powerup

Thanks for your sprites but even tough I would love to swap them out myself to polish the game, my "father heart" just can't do that. Those two where made by my 6y old daughter :) Maybe when the game reaches it's final stage that I'll make 2 versions. We'll see when I arrive at that point.

I think you're right about the bomb damage I'll have a look and if that happens to be the case I'll adjust it.
In your code there is one part that confuses me a bit:

difficulty=({"easy","normal","hard"})[savedif]

I assume this uses the index of that array somehow but I don't fully understand the syntax.

Thanks for all your time and suggestions/code for improving that's realy helpfull and helps me learn a lot.

P#128650 2023-04-17 06:38 ( Edited 2023-04-21 09:11)
difficulty=({"easy","normal","hard"})[savedif]

this code is the same as

local _a={"easy","normal","hard"}

difficulty=_a[savedif]
P#128651 2023-04-17 06:41 ( Edited 2023-04-17 06:42)

how did you do the mobile export?

P#128710 2023-04-18 15:55

@Sup3rAw3som3Gam3r

I've used cordova to make an app from the html export. Then I opend the project in android studio to generate a signed app package to upload to google play console.

Meanwhile I've been bussy, I've added a lvl4 powerup, fixed some bugs, adjusted the end screen and game over screen, added the url to the story, improved the difficulty, redone the ship muzzle flashes using the enemy muzzle flash function and in the last update I've implemented the shield you suggested. I did it a bit differently as I figured just adding a shield that protects you from one hit is the equivalent of an extra heart and doesn't add more gameplay variaty. What I've done is made it so that it protects you only from frontal projectile impact and that it lasts for 15 seconds. I'm not quite sure on the right duration but during testing I found 15s reasonable.

Cheers
Hannes

P#128792 2023-04-20 09:20 ( Edited 2023-04-20 09:22)

cool! I'm glad you are liking all of my suggestions!

P#128794 2023-04-20 10:39

played the new version - pickups are way too random - first run: fire bonus+bomb+shield on first 2 levels, second run: nothing until level 6

maybe something to adjust to get a better sense of progress?

looks like I am loosing my power ups when touched even with a shield?

P#128831 2023-04-21 10:28 ( Edited 2023-04-21 10:32)

@freds72

You're absoluty right about the randomness, I'm not sure if I will be able to squeeze that logic in but I'll try.

The shield is as intended, I wanted to differentiate between a shield and a life, if it would protect you from everything it would be more or less the same then an extra heart, the energy shield only absorbs energetic items like enemy bullets and since it's only in front of you it doesn't work on the sides and the rear. I might switch it up so that if you bump into an enemy with the front of your ship, the enemy dies but your shield timer is set to 0. I think that might be a good addition.

Thanks for your input, I'll do my best to fix the randomness

P#128838 2023-04-21 12:36 ( Edited 2023-04-21 12:36)

@freds72

I managed to get your suggestions implemented. Thanks again for your feedback and playing my game. It means a lot to me!

cheers

P#128846 2023-04-21 15:03

this game is really fun!
do plan on making the game any longer?
(also, maybe something like 50 coins-> (+1 max life or +1 max bomb or +1 life or +1 bomb))

P#128851 2023-04-21 15:54 ( Edited 2023-04-21 16:53)

I do, but I'm out of tokens right now. I'll see what I can do.

P#128861 2023-04-21 21:29

for making the game longer, just add waves to the strings (that I added for token saving), it doesn't take tokens

P#128862 2023-04-21 22:05 ( Edited 2023-04-21 22:06)

oooh! new levels!

also, a few more ideas:
a increase boss hp with difficulty
drop powerups every so often during boss fight

(this games is actually really fun by the way)

P#128903 2023-04-23 00:41 ( Edited 2023-04-23 00:46)

another idea: starting bombs (count, not max) = difficulty

P#128944 2023-04-23 23:01

Could you make a version of your game with fixed stars? I have motion sickness and those of us who suffer from this get very dizzy with certain movements and it even gives us vertigo.

I really like your game and I would like to play it but for now I can't because it makes me dizzy, Thanks.

P#136352 2023-10-25 00:34

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 08:30:06 | 0.170s | Q:57