Still not a game.
Added a frost spell, ability to switch spells, bullets and hurt animations, lava tile.
(up) or (z) to jump
(x) casts your one meagre spell
(down) switches spells
"Thaumaturge" is an awkward and ridiculous alternative to names like Warlock or Druid, so I love it. This would definitely be a cart your parents wouldn't let you buy because it looked Satanic, but your friend had it. (I need to stick a big pentagram in the game and get it in a screenshot.)
That is a dope lightning spell, and the palette-swapping wizard is wonderful.
Pretty good, but a couple things I noticed:
1) If that corridor in the lower middle is supposed to be one-way, I was able to enter from the right by banging my head on the second block in that diagonal line. Otherwise it acted as a solid wall, which was a little frustrating seeing as it looks like you should be able to enter.
2) When you change directions (i.e. left to right), there's a lot more drag/delay than when you release both arrow keys. This causes me to slide off the other side of 1-cell blocks on hairpin turns.
That being said, the movement of the robe is really synced well, and makes it feel like a much more complex animation than the two frames you used. And that lightning is really cool. =)
I would say the lightning spell is the biggest selling point right now, and gameplay should use it heavily. I haven't looked at the code, but is it possible to arc it through different waypoints recursively?
Off the top of my head, I have a few game ideas around this spell:
1) Use lightning to kill/revive enemies and make them walk/die on switches.
2) Push magnetic boxes to chain the lightning (the spell has a fixed distance it seeks to other boxes, switches, and enemies), so you can kill enemies on higher/lower platforms.
3) Turn switches on/off remotely, even charge battery switches that only stay charged for a period of time (the ever-present slowly closing gate).
These are all rough ideas and assume a puzzle platformer, but I think you should really be selling the spells on the back of the box. Oh, and the sliding is much better in this version, too. =)
I think for this game I'm leaning towards the arcade-y end of the spectrum with lots of dumb monsters and bullet dodging, and not so much block pushing and puzzles.
The lightning could easily gain more range when it hits an enemy or something. That's a great idea and could be hilarious.
Fire spell so far
Very nice, that could be a shield and a forward moving fireball when you release the key. I kind of want it to be ridiculously slow, just a huge fireball moving 10px/sec or something, because I think that would be funny. Plus, it could be like a moving shield. =)
[Please log in to post a comment]