Zelda-Like Project

Thanks in advance for trying it out. Stay tuned for updates!

v0.6

Cart #zeldalike_project-6 | 2022-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small but major step has been added, you can now enter and exit doors. While they currently all go to the same place it is still a bit step towards building dungeons and shops and secrets! Aside from that, I made some small fixes like the character's hitbox size to make it easier to through tight spaces. I fixed some minor map transition issues that caused soft locks.

Though I may not keep it, I'm also experimenting with the alt colour pallet for the caves and dungeons to give it a darker feel.

v0.5.1

Cart #zeldalike_project-5 | 2022-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Fixed a few tiny issues I overlooked. The map UI now better represents the world map and your position on it. Player hit box has be reduced by a tiny amount to make navigating tight spaces a bit easier.

v0.5

Cart #zeldalike_project-4 | 2022-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The map has been expanded, this is generally what the overworld map SHOULD look like in the final version. Unfortunately still only octorocks as enemies, but hopefully I'll be able to make some new ones at some point soon. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore, I tried to catch all the buggy transitions so I hope that players won't get stuck anywhere. I also solved (I hope) a couple bugs with enemy spawning. Firstly they would often spawn in on top of you making you take instant damage when loading a new area. This has been remedied by making it so the first 16 pixels on all edges will never have enemies spawn. I also solved a bug that caused the game to crash do to an endless loop. The enemies would sometimes never be able to all spawn causing the game to crash, now if they fail to place an enemy 20 times, they break the loop making for some areas that spawn less enemies than the normal amount.

Well I hope you guys enjoy this update, I had a lot of fun creating my own Hyrule with a few iconic landmarks hidden in the map.

v0.4

Cart #zeldalike_project-3 | 2022-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

We now have something of a loop, you can fight, you can die, you can continue to fight again!

A lot of small things have been added, such as sound effects, consumables, death, useable bombs. I feel like things are progressing well. only problem is I'm at 5173 Tokens. Well the MAIN systems are now in place, so I HOPE it will be less token intensive to get the rest going well.

v0.3

Cart #zeldalike_project-2 | 2022-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's starting to resemble a game little by little!

Enemies have been added with simple AI, collision detection is working as well so you are able to kill them with your sword! Enemies can hit you as well, if your health drops do zero, however, you do not yet die. That will be implemented by the next version.

I had a lot of trouble with this stretch, but it always came down to small mistakes that I had to find and correct. I improved the collision detection though. So it will be much easier to implement directional shields and such.

v0.2

Cart #zeldalike_project-1 | 2022-05-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I now have map movement working and a little 2 by 2 map for players to explore. With this being implemented, now I am able to expand the world. Things have been moving very smoothly and I'm hoping that I'm able to keep up this momentum with development.

v0.1

Cart #zeldalike_project-0 | 2022-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I decided to work on a project to learn Pico8 better as well as to challenge myself as a game developer. As is probably apparent to anyone familiar with Zelda 1, this project is heavily influenced by it. I'm hoping to add to it and eventually have a functional playable game at the end of this project.

Please note, I'm trying to figure out everything on my own as a challenge, but feedback and recommendations are appreciated.

P#111638 2022-05-10 22:37 ( Edited 2022-06-06 22:52)

Well done! I’m a huge fan of the original game (Enjoying a playthrough on NES every few years) and you’ve really captured the feel here.

P#112134 2022-05-22 13:50

That's such a huge compliment! Thanks for trying it out!

P#112135 2022-05-22 13:52

Awesome work! 🙌

P#112138 2022-05-22 15:56

Great work! Feels and looks like a mix of nes and gbc versions.

P#116729 2022-09-01 11:58

Great project! One problem I noticed: when going up or down, pressing left or right allows to change direction without taking finger off up/down key, which is quite comfortable. However, when going left or right, pressing up and down does nothing

P#116888 2022-09-04 17:49

very cool

P#119294 2022-10-19 06:32

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 08:13:27 | 0.016s | Q:37