Follow
citizen608
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #citizen608_neonsaucer_v095-3 | 2023-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello world!

I'd like to share my first game and first post here with the Pico 8 community. Neon Saucer is a vertically scrolling endless runner where you pilot a color-switching UFO up through Neon City. Match your color with gems to collect them, match your color with enemies to smash them. As you get higher, your ship goes faster, and you'll need to deal with trickier enemies and obstacles.

In short: Move fast and break stuff.

Postgame scoring is tracked for total height, total gems, successful enemy hits, and best banked combo. A combo of consecutive enemy smashes builds beneath your ship. The bottom of the screen shows the combo timer which is refilled with each successful enemy hit or gem pickup. A combo is lost if you hit a non-matching gem or the sides of the screen. A combo is completed once the timer runs out, or the player slows down. Completed combos award bonus gems for the amount of the combo, plus additional bonuses for every 10.

I've been having so much fun working on this game, and I'm pretty happy with its current state, though I still regard it as a work in progress for a couple of reasons:

• I'm sure the code is not as optimized as it could be, and I'm approaching the token limit.

• The game has had almost no outside playtesting, so I'm interested in any feedback.

Please give it a spin and let me know what you think!

Credit to the ever-generous, ever-talented @gruber_music for the music and sound effects.

EDIT v1.0: I've made my finishing touches and am releasing this as version 1.0.

EDIT v1.1: I've corrected an issue with the left/right bounds, added sound/animation for broken combos, and added a "secret" launch menu (press up, down, left, or right).

EDIT v1.2: Music/SFX credit added to @gruber_music as well as minor sfx adjustments

P#128848 2023-04-21 16:02 ( Edited 2023-04-30 18:34)