Follow
FlaxWombat
[ :: Read More :: ]

Hey,

I am fully aware that Pico-8 does not have an android release
It does however have compiled linux binaries for x86_64 (amd64) and arm64 (aarch64)

Knowing I can't actually execute these binaries in "native" android, I started experimenting with proot-distros
I've had success running linux binaries in proot before, namely with titles like Dwarf Fortress using this person's research here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/r80m7y/dwarf_fortress_mobile_running_dwarf_fortress_on/
TL:DR proot debian, fill in required libraries, disable video/sound, force text rendering, launch linux binaries via box64

Obviously I can't force text rendering for pico-8 (although that would be baller if it could output to terminal using filled unicode characters and the already primitive color palette of a terminal window)
As such, my setup is similar but tweaked.
Its still a proot distro, all the libraries it claims to need are present, but I have the graphical interface piped through VNC or XSDL.

However, launching either the arm64 binary or the amd64 binary (via box64) results in the same error

SDL Error: Could not initialize UDEV

** FATAL ERROR: Unable to initialize SDL

I've compiled SDL from source in every configuration I can find, i've found virtualized distros that claim SDL support on older versions of android... Heck I even got openGL running with hardware acceleration. All I can think of is that I am misunderstanding what part of UDEV isn't initializing.
Is it failing to initialize the GPU rules? Sound rules? Input rules? I can't figure that out and that error is the full extent of the log file that I have.

I know its not strictly an Android issue as I've seen the threads where chromeOS people have successfully run Pico-8 on chromebooks using very very similar methods, but it looks like an arm64 android issue.

P#104423 2022-01-06 20:41 ( Edited 2022-01-06 20:51)