Porting a classic C64 game over to Pico-8. This has been a fun project so far.
Though I barely even have a game, the very basic core elements are there.
Still have to program in all the mini-games, and work on that god-awful layout I have on screen right now.
Is that broken for anybody else?
Created using by following along with rabidgremlin's tutorial (see here).
In following through the tutorial completely (and not trying to branch off too soon) I think I've figured out where I went wrong in my first game (the hangman one) and how I could have made things a lot easier on my self.
NOTE: THERE IS NO SINGLE PLAYER MODE
A lot of firsts on this one... first time ever looking at Lua code (obv. first time ever coding with it). First time designing a game (I'm more of a VBA Macro kinda person). So there was a lot to overcome here. Please comb my code and tell me how I can make this better.
I started off following Rabidgremlin's tutorial:
but then branched off on my own. I'm not sure if there are better ways to interpret which sprites are currently printed into which screen co-ords or whatnot.
Only bug in my software is the win/lose tune doesn't play... and I have no idea why.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to check this out. Hope you have fun!
PS: Oh, I'm also not sure how to cleanly "exit" a game, so once you win/lose you'll have to manually quit and re-run the game.