--[[ TAME CAT BATTLE ]]--
(also mostly known as rock, paper, scissors..)
This is a little game I made as an example of how to implement a high score system. It saves the player name, along with their high score into persistent cartridge data. It is based on my cat, who has frequent battles with our neighbours cat. I have however, toned down the violence significantly, to make the game accessible for all.
Go check out my project called PicoBoard to learn how to implement a high score into your game, or leave a comment!
Would love to see who could get the highest score, of this game of complete chance and endurance..!
-- 0.5 --
- Added blinking text cursor
- 1646 tokens
-- 0.4 --
- Numbers & Symbols keyboard
- (Potentially annoying) keyboard sounds
- Weird bug fix for the PocketChip version of Pico-8
- Token count has creeped up to 1529
-- 0.3 --
- Keys now flash when pressed - would love to know opinions on which colour works best!
- Cleaned up + fixed a backspace bug
- Improved hitbox accuracy
-- 0.2 --
- Cleaned up a bit to cut down token usage (at 1168 tokens, 4136 characters)
-- QWERTY Boy --
This is a keyboard for pico-8! Its still very much a work in progress, but hopefully soon I can turn it into a text adventure style game.
This is my second attempt - you can find my first here: Pico Keyboard 1.1.
There are a number of changes to QWERTY Boy, including;
-- New QWERTY layout --
Makes a lot more sense than an a,b,c,d,e.. layout. Keys have been drawn so its easy to see the hit boxes when tapping on the PocketChip screen, or clicking with a mouse. Designed so it can be easily changed to AZERTY, and other layouts.
-- Significantly less token usage --
Currently down to 1300 tokens from 5122! There is still quite a bit of fat left to cut off too, so I'm hoping that the final keyboard will be under 1000 tokens. I would have to hear your ideas about how to write the code most efficiently.
-- Removal of Up,Down,Left,Right Selection --
I felt that nobody would ever tolerate playing a text adventure through manually selecting keys, so I removed it to save a bit of space. Tapping on the screen works great on PocketChip! For playing in the browser, I plan to add support for this project: p8keyboard.js. If this works out, I will also add support to 'hide' the keyboard GUI.
Let me know what you think!
--// PicoBoard //--
PicoBoard is an easy to integrate keyboard overlay function which you can use in your projects. It uses the arrow keys to select a character, and is ideal for inputting a character name, a high score, or any other short piece of text. If you are looking at making a project where you input large quantities of text, you might like to look at my other keyboard project, QWERTY Boy, which uses a touch/mouse interface.
--// 1.3 //--
- Excellent optimisations from Sibwara, resulting in a reduction of over 100 tokens!
- Keyboard sounds
- Picoboard can now be called in your project just with the function Picoboard().
- The UI isn't as large now, so will be able to see more of whats going on behind Picoboard
Still to come::
- Instructions + Demo of how to implement Picoboard into your project
- Some better SFX for the keyboard (would love your help + contributions!)
--// Previous Versions //--
--// 1.2 //--
This version has be written from the ground up!
- Now only 658 tokens (down from 5119 tokens in the previous version)
- The text display now centres
- New blinking cursor
- String is stored in a table along with a string
--// Legacy Carts //--