Hello there.

Not all of us are great programmers. Yet we all have our own unique gifts.

What with the large number of tornadoes we've had recently I thought it might be interesting to make a game regarding these.

Clearly nothing is tastier to a rampant and wild tornado than an abandoned mobile home so the game idea I have in mind is, you must sate the appetite of oncoming tornadoes, to make sure they don't cross a certainly line or into a territory, by hurling mobile homes into them.

These homes are empty and designed specifically to slow down tornadoes. I haven't seen a game like this yet and thought it might be interesting to do - especially with the pull of a tornado, like gravity, and hurling heavy metal rectangles like mobile homes that are affected not only by gravity, by how heavy they are, but also by the pull of the tornado.

And it is possible to toss a mobile home into a tornado and have it "bounce off" because it was not thrown at it the correct angle and velocity.

I leave this game idea for our more adept programmers who specialize in 3D objects and physics. :)

. . .

And this thread could be for other game programmers such as myself - who have ideas for games that have not yet been written and pass on the mantle to other eager programmers who may lack on great game ideas but exceed well in the field of programming and/or graphics and music.

What videogame would you like to see ?
Can you describe it ?
What is the game about ?
Is there a story or plot attached to it ?
What would a single level of gameplay detail ?
What graphics and sound would it use ?

P#126560 2023-03-03 18:52 ( Edited 2023-03-03 18:57)

I like this thread. I don't have any ideas nor can I make a 3D game about tornados (nor do I want to). But I like this thread and I want to encourage this.

P#126565 2023-03-03 20:19

I like the idea of idea sharing! I remember a Lazy Devs video from a couple of years back where Krystian mentioned having an idea book where he would write/sketch out game ideas & he was sharing some of those in the video and on Twitter. I wonder if anyone else has something like that they keep that they'd be willing to share?

P#126567 2023-03-03 20:28

I'm glad you @aKidCalledAris and @2bitchuck like the idea !

I'm curious myself to see it grow.

And you know guys, I think it's entirely probably that we will never be able to finish every single project that we started years ago.

Yet - they shouldn't just sit there and collect dust. I'll start out, shall I ?

Cart #db12_19_21-0 | 2023-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sometime back I worked for a fairly long time on building a digital Baseball game for Pico-8. It seems I won't be getting to that anytime soon so I release it - for someone else to complete.

It has sprites on all 4-pages, has sound effects including "speech" SFX. And code that includes putting the people out in the field, choosing a random Baseball saying depending upon what day it is, and the original graphic of the gaming device I remastered and drew for Pico-8's screen.

Only keeping that if you take this up and finish it in your name, either using the existing code or brand new code, that I am listed somewhere in the credits if for nothing else the graphics and audio. Although you are certainly welcome to edit and modify either to your liking.

If this goes favorably I have many other benched products with completed graphics and worked code I can share.

And perhaps you fellow Piconians might submit work that you also do not have time to complete yourself - yet some other budding young programmer might.

P#126574 2023-03-03 22:51 ( Edited 2023-03-03 22:56)

I might make the tornado thing in pico8. it wont be 3D, but it would be a fun project/break from my other ones.

i have some ideas on how it would work, but i might not fully make it if i have to do table shenanigans. i hate tables.

Do any of you like tables? i dont know a single person who does. if anyone knows how they work/dont let me know if you can :p

P#133419 2023-08-23 03:35

Oh man, I use tables all the time. Very useful for holding lists of things, but I also use them for storing several related pieces of data (like storing a position as pos={x=0,y=0} so I can then refer to pos.x and pos.y)

Was there something specific you wanted to know about tables?

P#133447 2023-08-24 00:40

Yes please @zovirl ! ive been using tables for my lidar game to handle multiple instances of the same... well... "thing" happening at the same time. like drawing multiple lines at once and detecting collisions for each line.

i dont know if im doing anything wrong, but im always having trouble getting loops in tables working first or even 5th try. my table tab looks like a failed brain transplant that took place in a nuclear power plant.

P#133450 2023-08-24 01:40

Some time ago I wrote a game involving tornadoes, but not mobile homes.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=72423

I quite liked the way the tornadoes ended up looking, so feel free to copy the code if you like it.

P#133459 2023-08-24 10:00

@AntiBrain sorry for the long delay. To avoid hijacking this thread, I started a new thread on tables here:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=54314

P#135020 2023-09-28 04:01

Sounds like a great idea! I have no idea how to code, but I can help make art/sprites for the game.

P#136136 2023-10-20 12:34

[Please log in to post a comment]