Cart #kpjagugu-1 | 2022-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls & Rules

⬅️⬆️⬇️➡️ - Move the snake!
Z - Next line in conversation | Start game
X - Undo previous move | Respawn

Snakedventure

Move around the level finding fruits to eat and grow longer, but there'll also be rooms to unlock, NPCs to meet, and quests to complete! Once you've found all the fruits and are of the right size, slide your way into a very special sweater from a special someone.

Quarterly Made Games HK

Quarterly Made Games HK is game development collective based in Hong Kong with the aim of developing and finishing personal project(s) every 3 months. It’s low stakes, low pressure, and focused on motivating people with a shared environment and deadline.

Credits

Developed by BlueTieCasual

Development Background

Hello! This would be my third published project and looking back at my previous two projects it has certainly been a journey! While I still like I have so much left to understand about the game development process, it's strange to feel like I'm actually starting to learn a thing or two, specifically with designing and programming (especially tables and arrays!) As for Snakedventure, it actually began as two separate projects, one to develop a dialogue system and the other to clone the classic game Snake as a weekend project. I ended up wondering if I could combine the two and thus Snakedventure took shape!

If people have feedback or suggestions I'd be open to hear them! Also here are the resources I learned from for this project if anybody else was curious:

P#119386 2022-10-20 16:03 ( Edited 2022-10-21 11:53)

Hi @bluetiecasual:

BIG KUDOS for making this turn-based ! I'm not terribly happy about the undo as you cannot, as you stated, undo after you have eaten something. I would prefer an infinite undo.

Also maybe make an "explore" mode where you are not limited to the number of lives you have.

Nonetheless for a turn-based puzzle, this is tops in my book !

Gold star and 💗 Favorited !

. . .

And won !

I thought the jumper would snap onto the player, giving them a new "skin" and let them travel to new areas they could not before, but nope. He just appears in it. Maybe add some Zzzz ... animation to show he's sleeping in it.

Nonetheless, nice win text ! Yep, I had to restart 2-rooms in all.

P#119395 2022-10-20 17:18 ( Edited 2022-10-20 21:20)

Thanks for playing @dw817 and glad you enjoyed it!

The undo system was a late addition and was a little incompatible with my existing snake system so unfortunately that's why the undo system works the way it is.

Also it only keeps track how many retries you take (press x during game over to spawn) and it'll take you right back to where you entered in the room so people are free to explore without much penalty.

P#119399 2022-10-20 18:20

Its the most imaginative take I've seen on the top down adventure yet. Great imagination.

P#119403 2022-10-20 19:12

Thanks @SquidLight! Glad to hear that you appreciate the design of it.

P#119417 2022-10-21 04:47

Had this problem, idk what it is, but I really like the game.

P#119418 2022-10-21 05:49 ( Edited 2022-10-21 05:50)

Ah! Sorry about that @MarinaMakes. Basically I use the 'undo' feature after NPC dialogue to back the player where they were (so they're not overlapping with the NPC) but due to the way I wrote the snake system, it doesn't build enough data quick enough for the 'undo' after a respawn like that. It shouldn't happen too often at least so if you restart the cart is should work fine!

P#119421 2022-10-21 08:48 ( Edited 2022-10-21 08:48)

I've done a brief update that should "fix" the issue that @MarinaMakes was having. It's more of a band-aid but hopefully it'll stop occurring as often as it seems like it was!

P#119424 2022-10-21 11:56

A great idea of combining snake and an adventure. It would have been interesting to have presented this as a normal snake game (not turn based) and after a short while you get to "break out" from that game into your world.

Simple, fun and a success! Gold star.

P#119425 2022-10-21 12:50

Thanks for playing @phil! Yeah that could be an interesting idea, I might try and test it out in my own time, I think I'd just be worried about players' reaction to the snake simply stop moving and where they'd go from there.

P#119442 2022-10-22 03:56

Great game. I'd like a bit more puzzles, where you need to think how to place the snake in the maze.
I had a great experience with this game.

P#119641 2022-10-27 02:59

Glad you enjoyed it @karasikrus! I had intended to add more but kept myself to a deadline to finish it. I may iterate on it in the future but also I found in early testing that the more thinky puzzles relied on designing around knowing the exact length of the snake and thus would take a little bit away from the free roaming part which I do like. Not sure your thoughts on it?

P#119646 2022-10-27 06:08

@bluetiecasual you could add zones where the length of the snake is fixed and if the snake left the zone its length is returned to the one before entering.
For example you could add zones where snake's length is infinite and the player has to find a correct way to press all buttons or smth.
But that's sounds like to much of a change for iteration. Better leave it for a sequel (if you have plans like that). Or you could add bonus stages when it is certain that the length is at least 30.

P#119647 2022-10-27 07:00

Really great. I enjoyed this one, especially how consistent the gameplay style, artistic style, and pace/challenge were. Great work!

P#120440 2022-11-10 09:49

Thank you for playing @omannay! Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and really happy that it all worked out as I was incredibly concerned about the quality of the art and the pace / challenge.

P#120452 2022-11-10 19:55

[Please log in to post a comment]