Cart #bobcoterminal-0 | 2022-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BobCo(TM) Terminal v1.0

I'm pretty sure somebody already tried this, but I didn't want to spoil the fun for myself by seeing somebody else's great work before having my own go at it.

How?

For everybody who hasn't played fallout: You have to guess the correct password by choosing from a set number of passwords. If you get it wrong the terminal tells you how similar the password you chose was to the password that you have to guess.

Controls:
ARROWS UP/DOWN + X

Why?

I replayed some Fallout in the last weeks(that I spent without the internet(damn you, internet providers)) and fell in love with their take on the retro-styled terminal.
I also thought it would be a nice exercise to get comfortable with string manipulation. And then I had to stop myself before it got too messy.
This is really just a small demo thing showcasing my take on the terminal with some lame jokes.
I wrote a neat function for comparing strings, if somebody needs one you may copy it. The rest of the code is a mess because I did it all in a day around work.

For anybody who is interested:

I split() two strings and then iterate through that new dictionary in a for loop. Each turn I check whether the two dictionaries have the same letter in the same place and, if they do, I add 1 to a score. In the end I return that score.

The part that is much more interesting is mixing the words and some other nonsensical special characters for that "hacky" look. There is a dictionary with random characters and a dictionary with the chosen words. The table you see in-game is itself another table consisting of 8 lines. Each of those lines gets filled character by character. There is a set gap between words that gets filled with nonsense. The chosen words dictionary gets chopped up again and sprinkled into the mix. Et voila! A "hacky" block of text.

Oh and i really hope @dw817 sees (and plays) this.

P#115619 2022-08-11 19:31 ( Edited 2022-08-11 19:34)

I'm playing Fallout 4 right now for the first time. I've always loved the hacking and lockpicking in the Fallout games, so I'm happy to see this translated so nicely to PICO-8! I like that you put actual content behind the hacks too :). I don't know of any other versions of this in PICO-8 (though I've never looked) but I think yours is very nicely done!

P#115621 2022-08-11 19:51

@2bitchuck thank you very much for the kind words! And i hope you have a ton of fun on your playthrough :)

P#115637 2022-08-12 05:10

Nice CRT/Old-Display effect!

P#115673 2022-08-12 23:42

I ... personally seem to be figured into this cart, @taxicomics. o.O

I appreciate the sentiment certainly. Ah ... Gold star work ?

P#115681 2022-08-13 00:50

@dw817
Hehe... Yes, thank you for your work and continued support of other peoples work! Thx for keeping this community alive.

P#115695 2022-08-13 06:15

You are very welcome, @taxicomics. If I see positive works I will support them.

And I am not the only one. There are some veterans in here who also do a good job of supporting others in their works and education - especially in producing demos and Youtube tutorials for Pico-8 - you know who you are.

And I thank you for that. :)

P#115714 2022-08-13 16:17

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 19:01:51 | 0.038s | Q:24