Cart #dailycalpuz-0 | 2022-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's Dailycalpuz!

Each day a new puzzle. Fit all pieces into the calendar to leave the current date showing.

I'm not entirely sure this is possible every time, @troske007. I think you need to add an option for "HINT" or "SOLVE" inside the code to show that the puzzle is indeed solvable each time and for every day.

In my implementation, where the pieces can be flipped, all days can be solved @dw817.

Here now then, @troske. Could you please post a Pico-8 animated GIF video showing the solution for any day ?

Here's a solution for today @dw817.

Oh my gosh, @troske007.

Not once did you make a mistake. Wow ! I guess I'm no good at these kinds of games. Nonetheless ! Gold star work, not just your code but your superb solution.

Well done !

@troske007 I'm curious - what does the proof that all possible days have a solution look like? Is it just a possible solution for each month/day/day of week combination, or is there something more compact than that?

(To be clear, I'm not doubting that a proof exists, I'm just wondering whether it's pure enumeration of cases or something else.)

Thanks @dw817 !

Honestly, I had another pico-8 instance opened with the solution already loaded to make a smooth video :)

@luchak, I used this C++ solver to generate all solutions. I changed it a bit to output a single solution string for each MM/DD/Weekday.

Maybe in a next version I will implement a hint system (start with 'n' pieces already shown). But then I need a way to store/compress 366x7x50=128100 chars.

[Please log in to post a comment]