Cart #royalgameur71-0 | 2020-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Royal Game of Ur is an ancient race game where the player must be the first to exit his tokens from the board.
This cartridge features:

• 6 different AIs which are unlocked as the player wins games
  • 3 different rulesets and the ability to create your own custom ruleset

At the start of the cartridge, the main menu has 4 entries (left-right to cycle the entries):

• new game: play a game by selecting a ruleset, an AI level and by defining who plays first
  • rules description: explain briefly each of the ruleset (top menu for the ruleset, bottom menu for each rule information)
  • edit custom rule: define your own ruleset
  • reset game: reset all game progressions and custom ruleset to factory settings. IMPORTANT WARNING: it doesn't request for confirmation once selected by X.

The rulesets are:

• basic: simple race game which can be played against the first 2 AI levels
  • intermediate: simple race game with simple betting which can be played against the first 4 AI level. Winning against the AI player unlocks further AI players
  • advanced: complex race game with complex betting which can be played against the last 4 AI levels
  • custom: user defined ruleset with its own game progression. The player must win against the lower AI players to unlock the next ones.

Designer notes:

I have been inspired by the essay and videos of Mr Irving L. Finkel regarding the royal game of Ur. I wanted the player to play this ancient boardgame versus Assyrians and feel a distant connection to this long past era.
The game does not have any music since I did not have the time to compose one. However, if enough players request for it, i will try to add an assyrian one.

Enjoy. May Pazuzu be with you !

PS: the cartridge illustration is a bas-relief sculpture of the benevolent assyrian god Pazuzu. This bas-relief can be seen at the British Museum.

P#81724 2020-09-11 19:48 ( Edited 2021-04-25 16:31)

Interesting game! I'd heard of The Royal Game of Ur, but none of the betting rules you incorporated - made for a weird challenge!

It's a little frustrating that beating the Scribe doesn't unlock the General, though - I skipped over the Guard because I've played the game enough not to need that challenge, but it sounds like I have to play against them after all.

The art is quite nice, though - I like their little faces - and like I said, the betting rules were interesting and new.

P#81743 2020-09-12 16:30

This is so cool! Well implemented and beautifully illustrated. I love the opponent characters!

P#81879 2020-09-16 02:20

This is so cool! Much obliged for this subject, im truly happy to understand it. What is your take to write my essay? I dislike my administrative work from Boston College, so I think I have the opportunity to observe great essayist, that could assist me with my assignment.

P#103468 2021-12-24 14:29 ( Edited 2022-01-10 10:05)
:: dw817

Ah, I see you are using my old image compressor, @red_ghost_71. Glad it could help !

You may be interested in my much sleeker recently rewritten 2021 Image Compressor. It is self-contained at 16-lines of code instead of having multiple functions all over the place like the one you are using here - and with better compression.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=100012

P#103527 2021-12-25 16:38

This is the best ancient board game, I'm Marilyn from the UK currently I'm doing an online course at https://icsoc.info/recognition/newskillsacademy.php and this game really help out me in the boring lectures because listening to one lecture straight two hours is hectic this game is the solution of boredom and the plus point is this game has no sound which distracts you from the lecture because during lecture teacher can take attendance anytime.

P#105131 2022-01-15 09:08 ( Edited 2022-01-15 09:14)

As you know that Much obliged to this subject, I'm simply satisfied to apprehend it. What is your take to writing and getting help from law essay help. I dislike my administrative paintings from Boston College, so I suppose I even have the possibility to have a look at an excellent essayist, which would help me with my law assignment at an affordable price.

P#105224 2022-01-17 10:35 ( Edited 2022-01-17 10:41)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2022-01-20 17:11:21 | 0.031s | Q:24