A competitive puzzle game, inspired by Yoshi's Cookie, with magic spells and a Smash Bros.-like percentage system where the last one standing on the platform wins!

Cart #puzzlecoven-2 | 2018-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Future iterations may include adjustable AI difficulty, selectable characters with different spells, and some snazzier visual effects.

Update v0.91: by request, added "slip cursor" movement style using (X).

Update v0.9: board-filling code is more diligent and now cannot generate spontaneous matches. Vertical matches are now checked first for possibly historical reasons.

(Character sprite based on Oddball's 8x8 sprites; title/countdown font is Alagard by Hewett Tsoi.)

P#59284 2018-11-22 13:18 ( Edited 2018-12-04 10:32)

Very nicely done - good gameplay!
The blocks are easy to identify and the control scheme clicks instantly.

Couple of comments:

• some more juicy effects would really sell the package as a pico classic
  • too easy? playing solo, it took forever to beat the other guy!
  • percentage? display a health bar, godammit!
  • combo anyone?
P#59289 2018-11-22 15:20 ( Edited 2018-11-22 20:20)

This is sweet! Love the gem sprites, I often have trouble distinguishing between pieces like that in puzzle games and I don't here.

I agree with the above comments and would add one UI quibble: when I slide a row or column, I'd like my reticule to slide too, so that I can follow a piece I'm moving in one direction and then the other.

What's the motivation behind making full rows/columns instead of threes? I tried a three first and was surprised when it didn't work; having to complete the entire row feels kinda ponderous relative to the quickness of the music, effects, duel aesthetic, etc.

Super cute overall though and I will play more of it. :)

P#59568 2018-12-02 07:48

What's the motivation behind making full rows/columns instead of threes?

The core puzzle mechanics are derived from the Vs. Mode of the classic NES/SNES game Yoshi's Cookie.

• too easy? playing solo, it took forever to beat the other guy!
  • percentage? display a health bar, godammit!
  • combo anyone?

I'm not really clear on what most of this means.

• Are you finding the game too easy and want a harder opponent, or one that takes less time to beat?
  • I can't display a health bar because there isn't a health amount. The damage amount can accumulate indefinitely, as with Super Smash Bros., and the knockback increases based on the target's current damage.
  • Combos are already in the game, and award bonus pico-gems. Are you wanting a combo counter effect?
P#59661 2018-12-04 09:57

Thanks for making this game.
I had fun.

The only thing that I feel like it needs to be improved right now, is that there needs to be a ,,P1 won", ,,P2 won" or ,,AI won" text at the end of the game.
The first time when my mage got knocked off, I was unsure if I won or I lost. Only the 2nd time around, I realized that I lost.

P#73127 2020-02-15 14:20

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:52:32 | 0.012s | Q:18