Cart #58790 | 2018-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Have fun sailing around my little map. If you go outside of my map's bounds, you'll enter the Devil's Shroud. It doesn't do anything at the moment, so just turn back around. You must have wind in your sails to move, so watch which direction the clouds are moving and adjust the sails accordingly. Steering can only be done in Steering Mode. Looking at the map can only be done in Map Mode. Adjusting the anchor can only be done in Anchor Mode. You get it. Hold Z and use the radial to change modes.

This is a game I've been working on for a bit. It's a demake of Rare's Sea of Thieves. Just like in Sea of Thieves, you don't have direct control over the boat. Instead, you must manipulate the sails' direction and position, the anchor, the steering wheel, and the map. This is a very early build that I've uploaded just to have the game out there. I'd be interested in collaborating in order to finish this project if there are any interested developers out there.

Things I'd like to add:

• Ship health: If the ship crashes against an island, sails in the Devil's Shroud for too long, or takes a cannon blast, water should start to fill up the lower deck. I'd like to have this be illustrated by a cross-section of the ship appearing in the lower-left corner with the water level steadily rising. One of the control functions will be boarding these holes and bailing out the water, just like in the full Sea of Thieves game.

• AI enemy ships: Smaller, more simplified enemy ships should be shooting cannonballs at the player's ship. They should be able to be shot down by the player's cannons, which also need to be added to the game.

• Quest: The main objective of the game is to check the map and follow the directions to whatever location is indicated. Once there, one of the ship's undead crew will be deployed to that island and can finally rest in peace. Some of the crew will indicate which island they want to go to by giving a changing distance from that island. Others will display an image of the whole map and have a small x over the island in question. This process must be repeated 10 times before all the crew is taken care of and the ship itself can finally rest at the bottom of the ocean, the end state of the game. Much of this code is actually already implemented in the cartridge, but none of it is playable yet. For now, you can cycle through the skeleton crew on the map screen by going to deploy mode, deploying a pirate, and then checking the map screen again.
P#58791 2018-11-05 01:43 ( Edited 2018-11-05 22:35)

Hm ! I'm loving this menu thing you have. Reminds me a great deal of LUFIA for the SNES where they have a cross to keep track of 5-different commands.

https://youtu.be/8MOO4sL3I8o?t=7650

If you hold (A) it automatically selects attack. Left gives item, up gives magic, right gives spell, and down means to attempt to escape from combat.

I had hoped at some point in one of my RPG or RPG Maker incarnations to make use of this genius interface.

You, however, stepped it up with an additional 4 commands for diagonal. Well done !!

P#58795 2018-11-05 11:09 ( Edited 2018-11-05 16:09)

Thanks! I really like when pixel-graphic games use circular aspects. It feels like you're exceeding the intended scope of the console (even though you totally aren't) by having round things and having objects travel in an arc. The mode radial is more of an octagon, but if you look at the steering wheel UI, that's a perfect half-circle approximated by trig functions. I felt like it wouldn't be much like Sea of Thieves if you could only have the wheel, the ship's direction, and so on only be in one of eight positions, so a lot of the game is freely circular.

P#58808 2018-11-05 17:35 ( Edited 2018-11-05 22:35)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 14:07:26 | 0.011s | Q:13