Originally I was attempting to write a compatibility library so that PICO-8's version of Lua would easily be able to support standard Lua 5.2 libraries. After some extensive research, I realize that this task is actually huge (perhaps insurmountable!). I have started documenting the differences between Lua 5.2 and PICO-8's version of Lua from a lower level technical standpoint.
The purpose of this document to help folks further troubleshoot PICO-8 when coming from a scope of Lua 5.2. e.g. math.random may exist in PICO-8 as a function, but it always returns 0.
While I do have a lot of experience using Lua (and thus many of my confused frustrations with the PICO-8 variant), I do not have total knowledge of Lua.
I hope that this document can act as a guide to future PICO-8 Lua developers.
Currently I am curating a list of undocumented differences between Lua 5.2 and PICO-8's Lua :
Please offer corrections or additions!
I assume @zep noticed this post, and released a quick update for 0.1.3 :)
If that's so, I'm glad that this got cleaned up, but I am sad to see some commands go, like:
Regardless, I have updated the document!
I have updated I have updated this document to 0.1.6.
@franciscod unless it's called by another function, I think you're SOL. Not sure though, folks can chime in here. As for weak tables, it looks like setmetatable has been added in 0.1.6 (mind you, getmetatable was not)
[Please log in to post a comment]