Cart #paint-12 | 2024-03-31 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An image editor made to imitate the look of Microsoft Paint.

It isn't meant to be a replacement for picotron's built-in graphic editor, but instead is just meant to be a nostalgic little paint toy.

❌Selection tool isn't implemented yet.

supports undo & redo history.

current tools are pencil, bucket, eraser, eye dropper, and magnifying glass.

eraser tool also supports recoloring by using right click.

Supports saving as either pod or gfx format. If you save as gfx it can be opened by picotron's graphics editor.
You can also save just the palette by saving as hex format

update v1.1 - improved the pencil and eraser tools. now they'll draw a line when moving the mouse quickly and won't push to history until you finish your stroke.

update v1.2 - tool icons now replace the cursor when hovering the canvas
added saving and loading. Loading from the menu doesn't quite work yet, I wasn't able to figure that out. It also supports loading by drag and drop however.

update v1.3 - color mixer now in its own window. Refactored most of the code. You can now save palette information with the file, or on its own as a .pal file.

update v1.4 - palette information now stored in metadata instead of content.

update v1.4.1 - import and export hex format (lospec.com) for palettes

update v1.5 - Added image resizing. Just drag the resize handle to change the image size.
Added scrollbars if the image is bigger than the display area.
Palette stored in image metadata is now hex format.
Improved history

update v1.5.1 - You can now drop images or palettes on the color mixer window to open them
Added import and export for .pal format exported from OkPal. It's a palette format in raw userdata that can be poked directly to memory
(Old table-based pal format can still be imported but can't be exported any more and is considered deprecated)

🐛The color mixer window doesn't seem to work on the web player

Planned features

• ability to choose what format palette is stored in metadata, either hex or pal. When you import a palette the setting should be updated to match the imported palette
  • brush sizes
  • selection tool
  • paste userdata
P#143261 2024-03-16 05:17 ( Edited 2024-03-31 17:48)

Post-Release Comments

I loved your tool ! I will use it for my pixel art now !
I drew one of my TTRPG character, just to test out the cart, it was really fun haha

P#146372 2024-04-11 16:06

i cant wait to use this one but if there's a download link for this

P#146571 2024-04-13 20:41 ( Edited 2024-04-13 20:41)

@eliyahP type folder in your picotron terminal, and then plop the .png file from clicking "cart" here in the folder:

Then load it like other carts:

In the picotron terminal, type something like load paint-12.p64.png

P#146595 2024-04-14 03:36

[Please log in to post a comment]