Cart #g88_control_the_body-2 | 2023-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Control the Body

A game in which one is tasked to control a body.

This game will autosave your progress.

Also playable on https://gate.itch.io/control-the-body. You can check out my other games there.

Controls

Arrow keys -- move and rotate body
X -- hold breath
Z -- jump (only with shoes); hold to jump higher
Down -- interact/talk (context sensitive)
Enter -- pause menu

Pause Menu Options

Continue -- Continue player
SFX -- turn sound effects on or off
Music -- turn music on or off
Timer -- turn game timer on or off (useful for speedrunning)
Game Speed -- speed up or slow down the game; can be used as an accessibility option, but certain challenges can still be very difficult even at the lowest speed
(X) Delete save -- delete your save file and restart the game

Inspiration

The following creators were my primary inspirations for this game. If you like my game, please check them out!

P#99282 2021-10-28 22:26 ( Edited 2023-07-26 22:06)

nice! fun!

P#99289 2021-10-28 23:06

This is an amazing hard platformer game, and the inspirations are pretty clear. I'm not familiar with sylvie so I'll have to check her stuff out, but increpare and bfod are great!

I managed to collect all the green orbs and all but one yellow orb (in the upper left map, even with extra checkpoints on the crazy path to it, it seemed impossible...). Eventually I cheated, and tweaked the code to see what those red shoes did. Fair warning to everyone else: they do nothing! It's not an upgraded jump or anything. :P

I'll probably revisit collecting the red orbs later, but this is easily one of my favorite pico-8 games already. I've put 3+ hours into this so far, and even though some parts were frustrating, the way you've explored these very simple mechanics and pushed them to the absolute limit is fantastic. The skill ceiling keeps breaking wide open as I discover new abilities and strategies, and most maps have great checkpoint placement as well.

Maybe test that one yellow orb in the upper left map though? I think your air drains too quickly outside of the map, because I wasn't able to make it even once after 20+ (cheated) attempts there.

P#99350 2021-10-30 00:29

A semi-spoiler for the craziness of that last yellow orb. This map was excellently designed to explain that new mechanic for a little extra jump height, too.

P#99351 2021-10-30 00:32

Never mind... thanks to a clue in the discord, I figured it out. Here's how you actually get that last yellow orb (big spoiler):

P#99352 2021-10-30 00:39

This game makes me want to pull my hair out and I absolutely love it

P#99358 2021-10-30 02:54

What a weird game! But so strangely creative. The first few screens had me thinking this was just some physics test gone awry, but after a few more I could see that this is a whole fleshed out concept.

The wall jumps are really hard but satisfying to pull off.

P#99366 2021-10-30 10:07

Thanks for all the kind words so far folks! I had a ton of fun making this game.

P#99405 2021-10-31 02:38

One of the best platformers on Pico-8 in my opinion!

P#100278 2021-11-17 16:40

I love this game so much and I especially love the theme that plays in the water area, would you mind if I uploaded it to youtube so I can add it to my playlists? fantastic work on everything btw this is seriously one of my favorite pico-8 games and I could talk for hours about how well it's designed

P#110889 2022-04-26 15:01

@Cyner -- yeah, you can upload it. I have it in this video, but it's with the rest of the songs too https://youtu.be/xZ4457wU2mY?t=258. If you want to upload an isolated version, that's fine with me.

That song was originally going to be more of a joke and a straight transcription of the Donkey Kong Country water music, but I got bored transcribing it and then gave it a different cadence. It still has mostly the same melody and some of the same features (e.g. the slowly rising tone), but I added a counter melody and it goes off a bit in the second half, lol.

And thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed the game.

P#110895 2022-04-26 17:38

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:53:53 | 0.092s | Q:36