very nice

P#98863 2021-10-19 16:19

This is a fun little mod, I like it

P#98926 2021-10-20 21:07

wheeee

P#98927 2021-10-20 21:37

No offense, but... Why does the tileset look like that

P#99011 2021-10-22 00:30

Seeing all of these modified clones of the original Celeste (not just this one) reminds me greatly of the thousand modified "Super Mario Bros" for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

There were literally a thousand of them - and not all were visual or even map improvements, or gameplay, not really.

Occasionally a gem would shine where someone took the original NES cart and really made positive strides in improving it ... but the remaining thousand or so, completely unnecessary and offered no improvement at all or oftentimes just made it worse.

I still think we need a category called, "Celeste Clone" to tally everyone that has hacked the graphics and maps of Celeste alone.

P#99012 2021-10-22 00:41

@dw817 this mod isnt like celeste classic, idk if you have played celeste classic before, but this mod doesnt look like that at all, this mods add nice tills and a very uniqeu and cool levels. and the game itself is a very uniqeu exparience wich idk if any other creator can make a game so funny and wierd and good qeust like duckpond did.

P#99106 2021-10-25 08:38

now @Rav81blaziken I did not say this was a bad clone. And yes I have played the original and since bought the STEAM version.

I am stating it would be helpful to have a new category for specifically "Celeste clones." Any cart that takes the original "Celeste" code and modifies them in some way notwithstanding if every graphic, audio, or map is modified.

P#99118 2021-10-25 16:18

Look at all those chickens. There's a lot more than last time I guess.

P#99119 2021-10-25 16:21

@dw817, while I can understand your frustration with the large amount of Celeste classic modifications, I don't think it's fair to group every single mod together, especially under the title of "Celeste clones."

Yes, some mods of Celeste classic just make very minor modifications to the base game, such as changing the pallet, and I can understand why people would be upset about many of these being on the BBS. However, even these are not "Celeste clones," instead, they are "Celeste mods," modifications of the original game.

Some mods of Celeste classic have had more effort put into them than many "original" PICO-8 games. Take a look at Caroline, Foreverred, or Volcana for some examples. These, among many other mods, were collaborative efforts between passionate fans of Celeste and PICO-8 as a whole that took many hours of work and often contained more content than the original cart.

I feel that it would be insulting to the creators of some of these mods to separate every cart that uses any part of Celeste classic (regardless of quality or effort) from other PICO-8 carts. Perhaps something should be done to reduce the amount of Celeste classic mods on the main BBS page, but I don't think your suggestion is the way to do it.

As for this mod, while it may not be a valid PICO-8 game by your standards, it is clear that the creator put effort into it, and that should be applauded, not compared to bootleg NES carts.

P#99123 2021-10-25 19:30

"Perhaps something should be done to reduce the amount of Celeste classic mods on the main BBS page."

That would work, @Calverin.

And yes there are some Celeste mods that are quite good.

Unfortunately the amateur ones outnumber the superb, and often for the player they must play the mod first from the beginning and then maybe realize an hour later, frustrated, they can't continue because the author never finished the map or didn't testplay it properly to see if a high mapper level was in fact playable and possible.

Comments and stars are indeed helpful in this area.

And yes, Celeste is indeed a superior platform game.

Yet truly I am surprised no-one has taken the classic JELPI game and posted many mods of that thing. It has the special (X) key to do a burst just like Celeste does and I think this game came out even before Celeste as it was included part of the purchase Pico-8 package.

P#99129 2021-10-25 20:53

@dw817 I think a large part of the success of Celeste classic and it's mod output is the (relatively) large speedrunning community behind it. Many people who start off speedrunning the game move on to modding it.

P#99161 2021-10-26 15:19

I will go with that, @Calverin.

I do remember as a boy receiving the Apple ][ years ago and I was very interested in "Apple Invaders." A clone of the classic arcade game.

But 3-tanks was not enough for me. So very quickly I learned machine-language and by tweaking and peeking this and poking that I finally found where the tanks were and put it at 255.

And I did discover a great many other things like stopping the invaders from moving or shooting or preventing the UFO from appearing.

Also to speed up the player's left and right movement and to affect the speed of shots or at all for both player and enemy aliens.

So, yes, modding or hacking does have its place in computer society when it comes to education and entertainment.

My main concern of the mods for Celeste is I have come across time and time again modded versions that are incomplete or botched.

Perhaps someone can make a "master" version of Celeste much like the current STEAM version where cheats are available by pressing START just in case the game is botched.

1. Warp to location
  2. Turn on/off collision check
  3. Turn on/off dying from reaching the floor
  4. Change FPS of game, faster or slower
  5. Affect direct flags in game

If the BASE Celeste has this then even if the map or work is botched and unplayable, the player can still muddle through it with cheats without having to quit entirely.

And once the game is playable again, can turn off the cheats and continue as normal, noting in the comments where the level was unplayable for other players.

P#99168 2021-10-26 17:25

@dw817 I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but it sounds like you're complaining that not everyone can create great mods

To make a good mod you need time, skill, an understanding of what you want, and experience, and not everyone has that.
I think it would make sense for people to upload botched or incomplete mods to see if they're up to the task. Someone might give it a go at modding and see if they have a knack for it or if they can't do anything at all, at which case then they'd release a "botched" mod just to see how it goes.

Again, I don't mean to sound rude, and I definitely think that you raise an interesting point, but I don't think you've given much thought to the people who actually made the mods and what circumstances could've led them to make mods like that.

P#99184 2021-10-26 20:38

@Catastrophic Cal:

You're not being rude, you're being candid, and that's fine.

Not so much a complaint as a box to put them in. And, that's fine. If it's not to happen, perhaps it was never meant to be.

I will state that the STEAM version of Celeste does have the following options available in it. This is not an add-on or external cheat but part of the original purchased game - to help those who aren't savvy in platformers.

They are called:

ASSIST MODE

Game SPEED < 50% to 100% >
Infinite Stamina < OFF to ON >
Air Dashes < Default, 2, or Infinite >
Dash Assist < OFF to ON >
Invincibility < OFF to ON >

Adding these elements to a new skeleton of Celeste for Pico-8 I do not believe would hurt the integrity of the game and may even assist those for debugging who do want to MOD it.

It would certainly help players get by modded levels that are deemed impossible in normal play.

P#99191 2021-10-26 21:32 ( Edited 2021-10-26 21:37)

@dw817 I'm not sure if you're requesting for the original creators of Celeste to add an assist mode, or if you just want someone to add these features. If it's the first, you have to consider that Celeste classic was a small prototype made in a few days, whereas the full release of Celeste was worked on over several years and therefore contains an actual assist mode. If it's the latter, there is a practice mod (inject) made by some community members that has some of the things you requested and is included in some mods, but the alternative is you implementing these yourself by messing around with the code (which is how many modders start).

P#99216 2021-10-27 13:16

Pretty cool, great work.

P#107654 2022-02-25 18:33

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 21:59:36 | 0.087s | Q:44