What do an excitable asexual pirate, a cultured genderqueer vampire, and a lesbian bird who may be at an important decision point in her life all have in common? They're all your friends, and they're all counting on you to make an absolute banger of a flag for them! In Flags for Friends, you play as a queer artist in a post-scarcity era and make custom pride flags for -- wait for it -- friends!
Design the Perfect Flag!
- Use a limited toolset to create an awesome flag based on thoughtful prompts provided to you by your friends
- Or, go rouge, and make whatever the heck you like!
- Design the perfect flag using only the colors of your favorite pride flag - plus, one extra, customizable color, for that extra bit of flavor
- Add stickers!
- Patent-pending "undo" technology lets you correct your mistakes
Super Freaking Gay!
- Made for Nonbinary Jam, Flags for Friends is inexorably queer!
- Diverse cast of 6 characters of different orientations and identities
- Twelve built-in pride color palettes
- Plus, the ability to create your own by choosing from a whopping 32 colors!
Export Your Creations!
- Press F4 (desktop only) to save a perfect loop showcasing your awesome new flag
- Select the perfect backdrop of a set of 7 procedural animations
- Copy / paste your flags as plaintext by hitting c and v!
- You're free to do whatever you please with this!
Meet New Friends!
Flags For Friends features a diverse cast of six characters of all different orientations and identities, at different stages in their life! Even better, several of them are from other awesome indie games! Check them out:
- Video Hole, by JofiSoft, featuring June!
- Gardener and the Wild Vine, by Finite Reflections, featuring Gardener!
- Millennium Maximus, by me, featuring Captain Jack "Blackjack" Piratebeard!
- Wandersong, by Greg Lobanov, featuring Kiwi
This is adorable. Makes my trans lesbian heart happy. <3
There's a nonbinary jam every year, I only heard of it recently! All the other entries are on itch at https://itch.io/jam/nonbinarygamejam2021
"Kiwi" and "Bard" are both canon names for the character
Agender flag is a great suggestion! I'll have to do some token crunching to have it fit, but it was something I was planning on trying anyway.
I wrote out a dev log about the flag editor! It's not too technical, and goes into design, implementation, and UI!
Updated cart with more color palettes, and improved usability without a mouse! (Arrow keys can be used to move cursor and X to click)
I'm hoping I can get it fully and easily navigable on a picade, but i fear it's really ambitious to work towards that as an afterthought.
I followed up with another devlog explaining how I used the secondary display palette to show up to 28 colors on screen!
[Please log in to post a comment]