Greetings all!

I recently discovered Pico-8 and have been having a good ol' time messing around with it.

I wanted to make a suggestion in the hope someone finds it interesting enough to pick up. (I don't know if something like this already exists, in which case kindly point it out to me!)

Anyway, my idea is to have a website where pico-8 fans - especially those with artistic ability and generosity of spirit (both of which are found in abundance in this community btw!) - can post sprites. Users could browse all available sprites, clicking the ones they would like to use, and finally click on a download button which would produce an empty p8 cartridge containing those sprites that they selected.

Users wishing to upload sprites could upload cartridges from which the sprites could be extracted, or there could be an online pixel art editor thingy, like Pico-8's own, if they wanted to draw the sprite right there.

The sprites could be categorised by genre/uploader/tags etc.

P#79971 2020-07-26 23:47 ( Edited 2020-07-26 23:59)

Would twitter hashtags work for this?

P#79978 2020-07-27 08:02

We recently added a pixel-art channel to the pico8 Discord:
https://discord.gg/F9FaWCe
If you have work to share, that’s the place!

P#79979 2020-07-27 08:07

Thanks for the replies, and the discord invitation... I've never used discord before but I'll check it out.

Unfortunately I lack the necessary artistic chops to produce/share any good work.

In principle it's not too difficult to find artwork, but I think doing it the way I mentioned (having a website that allows one to choose sprites and download as a cartridge) would make it super-simple to get started on projects.

My principle interest in pico-8 is as a vehicle for learning/teaching programming so having a one-stop resource to serviceably good art would be awesome.

P#79981 2020-07-27 08:41

Well, if the website would allow to pick and choose from several images to create one PNG to import at the end, that would be pretty slick. Basically adding sprites (of different sizes) to a shopping cart and at the end you could check-out the resulting image collection.
Esp. if the resulting cart also includes the credits for the sprites used already, so it can be properly attributed to the artists. Or at least contains a list of sprite index to artist mappings.

P#79983 2020-07-27 09:18

I have found this website at some point: https://pico8.io/

P#80041 2020-07-28 17:43

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 09:53:03 | 0.033s | Q:17