My Father died nearly 20-years ago from today. Outside of my Sister and my Step-Mom, they are the only family I have now.

I remember my Step-Mom sending me the classic poem from Robert Frost.

And I remembered ... I remember when I was young.

https://www.writerscafe.org/writing/dw817/1260511/

So ... in tribute, I have two programs. One is to try and recreate that very program for the TRS-80 I typed in those so many years ago - and to have it run at the same speed.

Cart #siparefiti-0 | 2019-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The other is something a bit more magical. A year after the funeral I wanted to make SNOW, real snow, on the computer, and as accurately as I could. A majestic tribute to my Dad and that program typed in from so many years ago.

So I watched the movie, "Dr. Zhivago" and watched very carefully the snowflakes in them. One frame at a time. For many long days I studied their movements - and wrote down in my notes what I saw and what I observed.

[1] Few videogames to date apparently really follow the accurate movement of snowflakes.
[2] Some fall as fast as raindrops, big ones I believe.
[3] They do fall a bit slow and fast, based I think upon their shape.
[3] They are very light and airy and a slight wind will completely alter their course.

And today, I have what I believe is quite accurate for movement in snowflakes. And I had it available for GWBASIC in my S2 project, I had it for BlitzMAX, and now it is available - to you - for Pico-8, changing the math slightly to accommodate the larger pixels.

Please enjoy ...

Cart #noyidotono-0 | 2019-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#67782 2019-09-17 01:07 ( Edited 2019-09-17 01:22)

I'm so sorry to hear this, that's so sad. You shouldn't have to go through this!

P#67800 2019-09-17 14:14

Thanks ... I don't know if you've seen the movie Idiocracy, well, it's a comedy. But there's a lot of truth to it.

And yes, my Dad had my sister and me and that's it. My Mom ... she left, I'll put it at that. He raised her and me all that time.

Today I still visit my sister.

And - I think because if you are short in one area then you compensate for others.

She runs a farm now, me ? I dabble on the computer constantly and write books.

Thanks again for your kind words.

P#67811 2019-09-17 17:22

@dw817 Thats some fine snow fx. The loft on some of the flakes is very close to feeling "realistic". Very nice. BTW I am futzing with cloud generation but need to get the pal, palt, and pget and pset with mget and mset and learn the pattern fills before I go deeper into the data structures that are more straightforward. OR perhaps reverse that, but no the first way is where my heart is leading me. One day at a time right? On a side note: It is rough when we lose loved ones, but they are never lost as long as we remember them... I recently lost a grandfather about a year ago... and it sucks but what can you do? Live with it. Push through. Keep your head up. Everything is a part of a cycle so it seems. Just another phase that we cannot see the transmission as of yet... Sorry that is off topic but I felt I should address the topic underlying. Sure we are here to exchange techniques and knowledge but there's nothing wrong with a moment of compassion. Right?

P#71090 2019-12-17 13:12

This is a very nice tribute! I read your story and it brought many similar moments with my father into my mind, who was also the one to introduce me to computers. The poet fits very good, it is kind of funny how your sister runs a farm now and the poet also mentioning a farm. Sometimes fate makes me wonder about the coincidences life brings with it, the poet you chose, the artwork and the story really brings up deep thoughts here!

If you focus on the slow moving flakes, all others appear so infinitely smooth, they float just perfectly with wind waves! Your code is also very clear and thanks for the comments ;)

I can't say it any better: "Remember the good times!"
And to add, thank you for the good times here so far!

P#71097 2019-12-17 17:34

Hi @chizel9000. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. Sometimes - sometimes I dream about Dad. Everything is fine. Sometimes I realize I'm dreaming, I realize he's not there.

I tell him this. "Dad, you died." He looks at me and smiles as says, "I'm here now aren't I ? Can't we just make the best of this situation now ?"

. . .

There are so many - so much has changed in the world in his absence - people's heads are glued to cellphones, I think he would've liked to have seen that obsession.

We saw - things on the computer, on the internet that were fantastic at the time and today are considered completely trivial. I would like him to know that I have not forgotten him, not in the least and occasionally in Pico-8 I will reveal some of the things we held very dear between us.

Like Robert Frost
Like snow.
Thanks for your kind words.

P#71213 2019-12-19 03:12

@Yesyoor, this is from my original Blitz code where the snowflakes are actually blurry circles of different sizes. Larger fall faster, like they are in front of the camera, smaller do not, giving a really nice 3D effect and depth.

"Remember the good times." That's what I tell myself. That's what my Dad tells me in my dreams. Forever dreaming ...

Thanks ...

P#71214 2019-12-19 03:14

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...

I took the one less traveled by...

and that has made all the difference."

While we cannot go back from whence we came, we can always take time to appreciate where we've been and who we've had the please of being there with.

My condolences and my appreciations for these fine carts.

P#71223 2019-12-19 10:18

Thought I would add. I've had two more deaths in my family since, another one just yesterday 06-09-22 (Thursday). That's 3 now, 2 in the past 6-months.

Not to drag anyone down yet I have found this to be true:

"There is no greater sorrow in the world than remembering happy times that no longer will be ..."

Condolences and prayers out to all whom have lost their loved ones.

Industry beats depression. Stay busy, work on good code, do good works for others, stay in communication with all your friends, and take time out for prayer, and you won't have time or interest in self-pity or despair ...

P#112996 2022-06-10 19:44 ( Edited 2023-02-22 05:23)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 07:07:43 | 0.035s | Q:33