by dw817
Cart #tdsd-9 | 2019-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATES: (that's all for today 09-09-19)

bugs + changes + fixes:

• added new picture logo

• stepped down the difficulty and checked game to level 16
    i believe it's possible to beat it now

• change color each new level for mission specs

• lowered volume of giggling, yeah we had enough

• fixed nasty bug where 2- or more would collide and fight each other for their desired location.
    now they shake hands and take off independently

• added debug to show all activity
    you can also cheat quite thoroughly in this mode. :)

• added display in corner to show remaining ghosts

• fix mistyped variables, there were a few

• allow collision with defeated ghosts (both ways)
    also move them off map just to be sure

Alrightee then !

I've been playing Little Nightmares for about a year now and am really quite fond of it.

What I wanted to do in the spirit of upcoming Halloween was a DEMAKE of the scene where the boy is in THE DEPTHS with his flashlight and must get past the evil ghost children to the next room.

What made this especially interesting is the flashlight would burn them if it was on them long enough But they also hid behind every shadow they could find in the house to avoid the light. It was quite tricky and frustrating to find them all to make it to the next room.

This demake features quite a bit of the same brain behind the Little Nightmares game. You enter a room where there are obstacles that you cannot cross (the blocks). But the ghost children can quite easily cross them with the advantage to you is you can see their silhouette when they run past them.

However when they are not on top of something solid, you cannot see them at all - except with your flashlight.

Your flashlight costs nothing and you should totally use it as much as possible. Not only is this your only weapon in the game but you can see where they are hiding.

Now the children are smart. Once the light hits them they will usually high-tail it out of there to hide somewhere else invisibly. Your best method is to try and follow their trails when they pass through solid objects and keep that beam on them till they burn up.

If you do you'll get them and you'll hear a little wail to let you know you did. Now they heal too so if the light is not on them and you have burned them. Outside the light they will recover their damage (which is pretty quickly).

Once fully recovered from damage they'll giggle and turn invisible to let you know your efforts were for naught.

If you take too long they'll really get mad and turn visible and then dive straight for you !

You start with 3 lives and you can only be hit twice by them to lose a single life. When you are hit the first time you are invulnerable for just a second - and it's up to you to get out of that dangerous situation before you are hit again.

Your player is aqua and the ghost children are ... well, they are invisible actually. You can see them as BLACK when inside the walls and they turn dark blue if on the edge of the wall. You can also see them if you are up close to them but I don't recommend it.

When the light is on them they burn orange and yellow.

But they won't stay in the walls.

If one of the children moves to the inside of the wall, they won't like it and will choose a new hiding place. It's up to you to track their movements this way.

You'll know you got them all on a level because the lights will turn on. Prepare yourself for the next level then.

The levels of difficulty increase both the number of children and the time it takes to burn them with the flashlight.

Also sometimes one of the children can become fatigued and will just sit without defending. They'll do this if they've been running around for a long time. The advantage is they don't recover their strength after this and they're fair game to your flashlight.

You gain a bonus life every 4-levels of play. How far can you make it ?

Note, there may be ERRORS in the game ! I hope not. I have really worked trying to make it so it isn't. If you come across any, please screen-capture and send to me so I can try to find out what it is.

I've testplayed this quite a bit and so far it looks pretty stable. Please let me know !

reset to level one, lives equals three

P#67442 2019-09-09 20:35 ( Edited 2019-09-10 02:53)

So it's a tiny raycasting engine? That's pretty cool. It's really fun too, nice job! You get a star from me.

P#67445 2019-09-09 21:04 ( Edited 2019-09-09 21:04)

Thanks Firebird !
Really do appreciate it. I know ⭐ appear ephemeral to most people, but they really do boost a programmer's confidence such as myself ...

Please let me know if you run into any problems that prevent gameplay. I think a bunch of the 'kids' running into each other wears them quickly so they leave a piece of wall sticking out. Hopefully it won't affect gameplay.

And yeah, it's a really bad raycaster. All integers and zero SIN() or COS(). I really do hate floating point math. :D

P#67446 2019-09-09 21:11

I like this game, It's kind of like mildew manor, but now you have a ray casting flashlight instead of a normal torch. also the walls aren't electrically charged

P#67450 2019-09-09 23:08

Thanks, Scrub. I'm working on corrections to it as we speak.

Turns out two kids can collide with each other and if one happens to be on the edge of a wall, he can get stuck there and no way to shine the light on him.

Adding DEBUG mode where you can see them all bouncing around and display in top-right-corner to show remaining kids left for that level.

Posting a fix as we speak. :)

P#67451 2019-09-09 23:27

Well isn't that quick! To be honest I didn't even know that.

P#67452 2019-09-09 23:38

I probably should turn off that electricity for the 1st level in Mildew's Manor. :)

P#67453 2019-09-09 23:49

Thinking about a new logo using Pico-8's palette for it.
Want to make sure the game is bug-free first.

Also - maybe have a winning level, like 10 or something.

P#67457 2019-09-10 00:14 ( Edited 2019-09-10 00:15)

That’s awesome, I really like it. Also, If it’s all procedurally generated then I would at least go to lvl 15 or 20. One of the best parts of procedurally generated levels is that there are lots of them :-)

P#67459 2019-09-10 00:16 ( Edited 2019-09-10 00:18)

Thanks, Firebird. I'm not sure ... is the game even playable at level 20 ? Maybe have you test that first. :)

P#67460 2019-09-10 00:19

Yeah I probably should test before suggesting that 😂
I only played for about 5 mins before my class started.

P#67463 2019-09-10 00:28

Class ? Oh lordee don't EVEN suggest my source-code to your teacher. Definitely not written anywhere near where I think it's palatable. :D

P#67464 2019-09-10 00:32

Don’t worry, I’m studying electrical and computer engineering 😂
game development is just one of my many hobbies.
Programming robots and microprocessors is a little different.

P#67465 2019-09-10 00:37 ( Edited 2019-09-10 00:40)

Robotics ? Hmm ... Have you ever seen CITY 01 ?

P#67467 2019-09-10 00:43

No. I’ve never even heard of it.

P#67468 2019-09-10 00:44

Let's see if Youtube is our friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU8RunvBRZ8

As you're working with robotics, I thought you might find it interesting as it refers to robots eventually leaving humanity and creating their own city. Zero one.

It's a clip from a movie called, "Animatrix." Covers a lot of stories based on Matrix really.

. . .

And it's time for an update. I'm liking this resolution of 64x64. You can couch 3-full-screen pages alongside up to 64-sprites.

May use it for my next project ...

P#67469 2019-09-10 01:58 ( Edited 2019-09-10 01:58)

I think that it could be nice if it was possible to position the light at an angle when holding two direction keys, since the ghosts often come form the diagonal and it's difficult to counter that.

P#122814 2022-12-21 21:51

OMGosh lemme think, @CrownDeluxe. I wrote this so long ago it was a real nightmare to get that light to shine at all.

As @Firebird stated it's a tiny raycaster and I've never written a raycaster before. It's basically a triangle for me.

I appreciate the idea but I think I'm going to leave it as is.

The game is completely winnable however. I have won it and let me assure you my reflexes are a lot worse than yours.

If you get stuck I can give you some hints.

P#122826 2022-12-22 04:17

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 15:59:23 | 0.041s | Q:38