(I'm kinda new to the forum, so please don't call me a noob for asking these questions.)

The levels just show up as pictures. I tried copying and pasting level pictures onto Microsoft Paint, and saved it as the right picture type. I went on Voxatron and when I loaded the level, nothing was there. Absolutely nothing. Nothing. Pure nothing. Nothing except nothing. Nothing nothingy nothiny. Nothing. Do I get the levels on another way? Thanks, I'd like to play some BBS Levels on the forum.

I found a BBS Level with The Great Dragon in it, so I loaded in the editor, and when I pressed CTRL + C, it just copied the whole room. I can't paste whole rooms for some reason.

I had to use bad grammar in the title (from room), because the forum won't let me type it in so long.

P#6185 2012-04-28 00:56 ( Edited 2012-05-06 21:53)

I think this is not possible atm, since you would need to find the correct sequence in the bottom bar of the level-files and copy-paste it to the correct place in your level file pixel-perfect.

P#6187 2012-04-28 06:46 ( Edited 2012-04-28 10:53)

Load a level in the editor, select an object, copy it, open a new level or load another one and simply paste it. You have to select it from the object list or it will not work I think. :)

P#6188 2012-04-28 10:16 ( Edited 2012-04-28 14:16)

I think you need to use the Stamp tool Then select the item and copy it and paste it into your level.

P#6189 2012-04-28 10:29 ( Edited 2012-04-28 14:29)

Didn't know, that the stamp tool works cross-level-wise.

A nice idea would be a cross-level object database where you can store your resources and parse objects from other levels (but also with the possibility of setting a byte that marks levelso not importable, if somebody doesn't want selfmade stuff for reuse by others).

P#6197 2012-04-30 19:54 ( Edited 2012-04-30 23:55)

@Number1KirbyFan

If you want to grab just one model from a BBS level and paste it into your level like TubbaBlubba describes. Control-C copies the most recently clicked thing: the whole item if you clicked on something in the list, or the current selection if you most recently clicked on the model editing view.

Detailed steps:

1. Click on the thumbnail of the level in the BBS post, to view the level file. e.g.
    https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/cposts/0/cpost6061.png

2. Save the file somewhere handy (File->Save Page As). You can open the same folder as your VOXDE files by going into the editor, clicking LOAD (Control-L) and then clicking "Open Folder".

3. In the editor, load the file you just saved.

4. Find the object you're interested in under the OBJECTS tab, and click on it once.

5. Copy it by pressing CONTROL-C (you should "copied selected item" in the console message at the top left of the screen)

6. Load (Control-L) the level you're working on

7. Make an empty object in the OBJECTs tab (click "NEW") and then paste the object (Control-V)

8. Save the change (Control-S)

I hope that makes sense! I need to streamline the process of sharing individual objects at some stage.

Advanced:
If you want to load entire banks (e.g. one of the 6 collections of OBJECTs), you can save the currently viewed bank with Control-S (as usual), but then give it a filename that ends in .vob (short for "Voxel Object Bank"). You can then load the vob file into another level file by selecting the (probably) empty bank you want to overwrite and load (Control-L) the .vob file.

Again, I need to make this process simpler in the future, probably by allowing the user to browse objects in other files while still having the level they're working on to be open.

@chaosking2
The stamp tool works between levels, but only if the copied room objects already exist in both levels. So if you copy and paste an instance of the dragon, that will work (because it's an internal object that always exists). But if you copy a room with some custom-made furniture for example, you won't be able to stamp it into another level file unless the matching objects already exist in the same OBJECT slots.

@El_Zorro_Loco
That's something I need soon too for making larger, more complex levels -- external objects that other files reference so that you can have a central collection of objects.

My plan is to allow a given object to be a 'mirror' of an object in another file, but a copy of the last known version is always stored in case the master copy can't be found (and for when you eventually publish the level as a single file). This will work alongside the browsing feature I mentioned before -- so you can have a level file open big browse a large database of stuff and add the objects you're interested in for that level (either as editable copies or read-only mirrors).

P#6199 2012-05-01 17:41 ( Edited 2012-05-01 21:42)

@zep: Couldn't the slot number be easily replaced by, let's say a .vob-merger programm? that would be my idea, how it could potentially work:

1. open a .vob
  2. the merger parses the objects and lists them
  3. the player can choose objetcs by clicking checkboxes and finally confirm the import
  4. the merger copies the objects into an external database, removing the slot value/ replacing it with the database's ones

To create own .vobs you could browse your external database and, again with checkboxes, select your preferred objects and confirm. Now the merger copies the objects from the database to the new .vob, setting new slot values to make it consistent in itself.

P#6210 2012-05-02 19:46 ( Edited 2012-05-02 23:46)

I thought I already tried CTRL + C to copy The Great Dragon, but it still copies the whole room, even if I use the stamp tool. Hmm, maybe I should just try again.

P#6212 2012-05-05 14:20 ( Edited 2012-05-05 18:20)

Selecting an item in the "whole room view" and pressing ctrl+c just copies the room, just tried that.
You have to click on an object in the object list and then you can copy it, you can probably select only a part of an object and copy it in the object editing view... lemme try that

Edit: yep you can, and now that I think about it I had already used it.
Re-edit: that, in fact, is the same exact thing zep said -___-

P#6214 2012-05-06 09:16 ( Edited 2012-05-06 13:31)

@El_Zorro_Loco
Well, I want to get rid of the need for .vob altogether by doing something similar. It should be possible to browse all of the objects you have on disk, and tag/sort/search through them. E.g. by type or author. It will take while to make though, so it will be after 0.3 (monster editor update).

@Number1KirbyFan
It should work how you described. Make sure it's just the purple box with a question-mark on it you have selected in alpha_world.png. Note that the dragon is unsupported and buggy outside of the demo adventure level! It works best in a room by itself which is around 160x160, and should be started-offscreen.

P#6216 2012-05-06 16:01 ( Edited 2012-05-06 20:02)

Ah, ok the dragon is not on the object list, you have to select that purple box and stamp-copy it in another level.
It could be extremely interesting to have an external object database... Maybe even online! Im thinking about a gigantic database with every voxel-object ever made :Q____

P#6218 2012-05-06 17:53 ( Edited 2012-05-06 21:53)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 11:29:29 | 0.013s | Q:27