code:

• hitting del on very first character does nothing.
  • selecting some text at the very end then hitting del deletes the text, as it should. but hitting del one or two more times brings some of the deleted text back
  • ctrl-z is annoying most of the time as it often brings you too far back (nicknamed ctrl-y 'ctrl-whyyy?')
  • maybe 'tokens ####/8192' or 'chars #####/65536' would be clearer (at a glance as for newbies)
  • a few syntax highlighting issues I've reported in dedicated threads

sprites:

• the reticle does not change according to the selected tool (I keep having unwanted fills for instance).
  • shouldn't the selected area define a clipped working zone ? only the fill bucket works like that, other tools and ctrl-v do not.
  • you can draw your selection past the editor window, which is nice, but there's no feedback. pan the window?

map:

• no ctrl-v, you have to use the stamp tool.
  • same as above about limiting actions to the selected zone. only fill bucket works.
  • the selection frame disappears when you draw it beyond the edit window
  • I find the ninth row a little confusing at times. you can edit it while only seeing half of it. limit to 8 ?

sfx:

• no copy/paste between instances of pico-8. copy/pasting on the bbs would be a nice addition too.
  • i'm only doodling in there, maybe a few technical cues could help ? like showing the frequency/tune of the note you're editing in pitch mode. from the manual I was under the impression that you could freely change frequencies whereas holding ctrl would snap in tune. from the tool it seems the note is always in tune and ctrl snaps you on two pixels instead of one (D snaps to D#, C# to C..) ?

tracker:

• I'm not using it, for some reason :p
  • I guess some external copy/pasting would be nice there too.
  • have a piano keyboard, musical staves ? yeah, I'm -mostly- joking. I don't know solfege anyway ;)
P#30827 2016-10-13 09:02 ( Edited 2016-10-13 18:49)

UB, where can the DevKit be found, please ?

P#30828 2016-10-13 09:49 ( Edited 2016-10-13 13:49)

He's referring to the IDE. (what you see when you run pico-8 and hit ESC once.)

I like those UI suggestions.

On the note pitches, ctrl snaps to a pentatonic scale. Without ctrl, you'll get a full chromatic scale. The only way you can get a tone between notes is using slide mode.

P#30845 2016-10-13 13:52 ( Edited 2016-10-13 17:52)

Hi Tyroney:

• I'm working on a compression tool at the moment - but yes, it's not going to be easy. I want to have an eerie tone start out for a Halloween game I'm working on afterwards - and it will require 2 or more notes simultaneously to create the proper trill.

Very clumsy to not show a piano key with digits showing the 4-channels. Something I may remedy for the future.

P#30851 2016-10-13 14:23 ( Edited 2016-10-13 18:23)

Oh, and UB, now that I know what you are talking about - I had my list of suggests and findings initially HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27665

and later HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27756

P#30855 2016-10-13 14:49 ( Edited 2016-10-13 18:49)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 18:00:29 | 0.008s | Q:16