This is just a little thing that I made whilst going about my day and I'm not sure I'll get around to finishing so feel free to grab it from the PICO-8 WIP section and do some work on it!
Something I'm not understanding. When you are in LOCAL mode, that is, you are running your own project from PICO.EXE.
While your program is executing, you cannot press ENTER to check your custom menus. If you press [ESC], the program merely stops right where it is.
Is this normal behavior for PICO ?
Is there some special key to make these menus appear ?
hey that's a great idea! it's called babyfoot where I live (france). shortname 'baby'-it's all about context :)
a few thoughts:
- your goals look reversed, flip them horizontally.
- the players... well, there's none, yet ;)
- bar pushing/pulling is way too slow
- draw a hand on the active bar!
you have two hands, there are 3 bars.
pressing left moves your left hand left if it can, or your right hand left if it can, nothing happens otherwise. pressing right moves your right hand right if it can, or your left hand right if it can, nothing happens otherwise.
pressing o (left action button) locks the bar under your left hand, then left/right rotates, up/down for push/pull.
pressing x (right action button) locks the bar under your right hand, then left/right rotates, up/down for push/pull.
there needs to be some kind of throttle, maybe single click (left or right) to pass, double click to shoot... how long do you press, how fast do you double-click...
might seem awkward at first, but that's until you improve your skills.
- the real thing is a multiplayer game, this one should be too, don't care about i.a.
- the above could work with 4 bars per player (real deal is goalie-2-5-3), have this as an option (your setup is a great starter imho). +have a 4 players option (2 bars per players!).
- expand on the physical game, have each player choose its formation(2-5-3, 3-4-3, any well known soccer tactic)
- there's an international federation regulating international competitions, don't take this lightly ;)
I'm not sure about the menus, tbh. I'll have a look later :D
- Lol, babyfoot :D I think Americans call it "foosball" or something.
- So you reckon the goals would look better if you could see the cross-bar?
- Okay, movement speed is easy enough to do (Y)
- I was wondering about a hand instead of those arrows, actually! I'm not sure I could make a hand that looks good. It would be prettymuch a beige square :D
- There definitely need to be some kind of "kick" button, yeah. Not sure I'll do pass and shoot but there should be something to add a more controlled kick
- I'm not sure I'd implement the multi-hand thing. although it makes perfect sense in terms of representing the original table football game, I think it'd be kind of awkward to play and more complicated thinking this game should be.
- Ah, yeah. I'd like to have four bars per player, but I would need to start expanding the game beyond what can fit on a single screen and to be honest, I can't be bothered adding a follow-camera right now :D I think that would be the next thing if I decide to make this into a proper game though.
- So you reckon multiplayer is the way to go? Okay, I'll probably do that next. Its easy enough to do in a minute or two.
- I don't think I would add formation choices because I'm trying to keep the game really basic.
Cheers for the feedback! :3
I've got a few little demos I'm thinking about doing, so that people can copy-paste chunks of code for things like objects or menus. Because I know I was a bit "wat?:/" when I saw how you do OOP in LUA. (I miss you, C#).
This game is also less important to me than my adventure game. But I'll add things soon! :3
[Please log in to post a comment]