Cart #rogueabyss-4 | 2023-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rogue Abyss

Explore an endless labyrinth of ever increasing difficulty. Stay alive, amass treasure, and power up while avoiding monsters and traps around every corner.

Controls

Default control scheme:

Up - Walk forward
Down - Walk backwards
Left - Walk left
Right - Walk right
X - Turn left
O - Turn right
Optional mouse turning on desktop

Alternate control scheme: (Selectable in the pause menu)

Up - Walk forward
Down - Walk backwards
Left - Turn left
Right - Turn right
X - Walk left
O - Walk right

Credits

Developed by Kevin Hammer
3D engine: Mot's Wolf3D Engine https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41315

Thank you for playing!

P#137823 2023-11-23 15:17 ( Edited 2023-12-04 18:26)

I had immense fun with this! Thank you for uploading it. This game really works great because it would have been a great game even without the raycaster-look. You want proof?

Mot's engine always feels a little tight because of the big sprites, but you really used the available room. The SpikeyDeathies(that is their name, right?) work great in 3D, they present the player with a nice little riddle and require some planning to avoid.

And the autoshoot was a great choice, being defenseless feels tense, and finally finding an Orb Of Power feels liberating and very rewarding. I rushed straight back to the big mean BoneyBreaky.

I have no idea why I collected coins, but at least I knew which paths I already took. And I found the contrast in the ground and ceiling a bit too much, the noise was a strain on the eyes, maybe I'll mod the cart a bit to play it some more. And I'd love to make a video about it, if that is alright with you. It would be nice way to highlight the open nature of PICO-8 carts.

The mouse controls feel very good, trying it with a mouse is a must. I stopped on Level 5 because I could not find the key.

P#137824 2023-11-23 15:50

Thanks for the review! I don't have actual names for the enemies, but I might have to make yours official! If you launch the game again and choose continue it should put you back on level 5, but with a new layout. The deeper you go, the more complex the levels become, so keep looking, the key is there somewhere. And it'd be great if you did a video on it, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say about it!

P#137826 2023-11-23 16:24

Alright! Thanks for the go ahead and the approval of the names! I feel like a scientist discovering new species now ^^ One short will be up tomorrow ( here is a link to my very young channel) and, if I can create a good mod for it, that longer video will come out some time in the future.
I`m mostly looking forward to playing it some more though. I also enjoyed the nice simplistic music :)

P#137827 2023-11-23 16:32 ( Edited 2023-11-23 16:42)

this is brilliant. a marvel of human technology.

10 out of 10

P#138021 2023-11-29 19:12

[Please log in to post a comment]