Cart #tomorrow-6 | 2023-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made for the 20 Second Game Jam. See the game's submission page!

Use your oddly jar-shaped mallet to fling Tomorrow toward the end of the level and whack Krikz the robot before the timer runs out! There are 5 optional sandwiches to collect throughout the stage.

Mastering the controls and learning the level layout will be essential to completing it in time, especially so if you wish to collect all of the sandwiches as well.

To make the game more accessible, there is an alternative mode with timer pickups scattered through the stage, and another with no time limit at all. Though, these modes do go against the jam's limitation, hence being optional. Think of them as "exploration aids" to help you learn the stage and determine a route through with a more relaxed time limit, while you attempt to reach the under 20 seconds mark.

The story:

The player character, Tomorrow, is mad at Krikz the robot and needs to whack him on the head to calm down before the rage consumes her.

Ability/Controls notes:

• Standard run-jump platformer controls, with O/jump and X/attack
  • X while on ground: hammer attack
  • X while in air: hammer spin
  • Hit the ground or an enemy while hammer-spinning to bounce forward. You can quickly build speed by chaining bounces
  • Hold down to fall faster
  • Wall jumping: touch a wall to slide, O to wall jump
  • You can walk past spikes, though falling into them will damage you
  • Falling onto spikes while hammer-spinning will cancel the spin and bounce you backward. Previously, this would completely destroy the hammer, leaving you unable to complete the game. Not fun!

Change history:

• final rounds of testing
  • full release on lexaloffle and itch.io

• add music - a short track for 20 seconds mode and a longer one that loops for the pickups and explore modes
  • restore hammer bounce sound effect that went missing at some point
  • add tick tock sounds to the time up screen
  • work around being able to accidentally kill krikz without triggering the cutscene (good luck getting through 32000 health points)

• change fade transition to be a cutout of a jar of vegemite
    • this does drop performance to 30fps in certain performance-heavy cases, as it is covering the entire screen with tlines. fortunately, this is only during the end of the fade out animation so it does not affect gameplay
  • minor graphic adjustments
  • add hammer to the title screen

• came up with a name related to the random story I came up with for it: "tomorrow's vege-mallet therapy (in 20 seconds or less)" which sounds like a cheesy advertisement and i'm all here for that
  • add title/help screens and game over/win screens with their own unique backgrounds
  • implement a tileset and decorations for the level, as well as a parallax background
  • overhauled text printing to have a border and drop-shadow effect thing
  • minor adjustments in a lot of places

• adjusted wall-jumping physics to make wall jumping more consistent
  • sandwiches now give 1 hitpoint
  • add ending quick-time event
  • minor layout and graphics adjustments
  • moved health display to hud

0.1a

• fix a couple issues

Trivia:

• The hammer is a massive jar of Vegemite (link) attached to a stick, hence why it used to shatter on spikes. Tomorrow's use of this hammer and its abilities fit the jam's themes "people are strange" and "overpowered"
  • The robot designs are similar to the Sonic the Hedgehog series. (is this a Sonic fangame now?)
  • The hammer mechanics are an evolution of an idea I had years ago for Amy Rose's moveset in a Sonic fangame that never came to fruition.

P#137899 2023-11-26 01:49

those sprites 👌
(need to spend some time getting used to the controls…)

P#137903 2023-11-26 06:31 ( Edited 2023-11-26 06:32)

This is awesome! I played the earlier version shared on the pico8 discord a little bit too so I had the controls down pretty well.
The wall jump does feel a tad weird, sometimes hops seem faster and sometimes they feel slower/delayed. Not sure if this is actually an issue or my mind playing tricks on me.

sub 15 is so close yet so far...

P#137917 2023-11-27 02:51

This is incredible. I am really tempted to make levels because i need to use this moveset more.

Edit: wait, so if I wanted to, would i need to make my own assets? whenever i put the code in it seems incomplete. I am new to pico, as you might guess.

P#141060 2024-02-03 10:09 ( Edited 2024-02-03 10:12)

@denizoart

You can download the full cart as a PNG by clicking the "cart" text in the bottom left corner of the game. From there, you can load that PNG file like a P8 cartridge, or I believe dragging it onto the command screen also works.

The level is stored 1:1 in the map tab, no fancy tricks nor any code to store multiple levels. To place objects, one of its sprites' tiles will have the last flag orb lit. Place that in the map and that object should appear when running the game.

If you like, you can post your creations in this thread. (More on that if you need it) Feel free to change up the graphics too.

P#141068 2024-02-03 14:27 ( Edited 2024-02-03 14:29)

Ok ok thank you very much

P#141071 2024-02-03 16:26

@Munchkin

Thank you!
The wall jumps don't fully cancel acceleration, so if you hold away from the wall you start going faster. Maybe it should behave the same as Ultimate Chicken Horse and fully lock movement input for longer.

P#141096 2024-02-04 02:52

Awesome game! Initially, I thought it was impossible but when I discovered the alternate/faster route at the beginning my mind went big boom! Then I realized that if you have enough momentum you can bounce off the spike and the enemies and destroy that one part. Anyway here's my PB:

For now 😎

P#147127 2024-04-22 16:42 ( Edited 2024-04-22 16:45)
P#147130 2024-04-22 17:01 ( Edited 2024-04-22 17:02)
P#147146 2024-04-22 22:06
P#147207 2024-04-23 19:44

[Please log in to post a comment]