A very old type of computer role-playing game.
How to Play
- Your health will recover and your progress will be saved at the town inn (the place with the "I" sign). It doesn't cost gold.
- Poison can be cured by potion.
- When food runs out, HP gradually decreases.
- You won't encounter monsters on paved roads.
- Press Z search the current square.
- Press X to open the menu.
- Weapons and armor can be equipped from the item column of the menu. Items with a letter (E) are equipped.
- Warhammer and bow are two-handed weapons, so shields cannot be equipped at the same time.
- Use the spell ESCAPE to escape from dungeons and battles.
- You can attack distant enemies with a bow.
- When you encounter an enemy, you may be far away from the enemy.
- Use the MOVE command to approach the enemy.
- Use the WAIT command to wait for the enemy to approach.
- You can run away from enemies with the RUN command. However, you will receive additional attacks from enemies.
Quite the nice game, @sio3 !
Easier than Ultima, harder than Dragon Warrior. A good balance, gold star !
Here is the game where ALL information panels are aligned:
I admire this for being a "minimum viable RPG" with just enough mechanics and items to give the player meaningful decisions. For anyone else making a PICO-8 RPG, start with mechanics like this. Only add complexity if it makes life more interesting for the player. For example, the way the "Escape" spell takes you right out of dungeons adds some good risk/reward decisions for the player. Do I persist with a tough dungeon or do I escape and keep my money?
It took me a long time to find the third crystal, but only because I forgot there was a dungeon I had seen but hadn't entered. The final dungeon, I reached the end with about 10 HP and 0 MP left.
[Please log in to post a comment]