Cart #terra_split-1 | 2022-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the MULTIPLAYER TECH DEMO.

If you want to play the singleplayer version you can find that here.

Important! Before you make any progress:

This version does not have any support for saving and loading your game! That was one of the things I decided to remove in order to fit the multiplayer functionality in without modifying the core gameplay and progression. If you'd rather I remove the Plantera boss or something instead, then I'll see what I can do.

In addition, this version tends to lag behind the main version in terms of updates, as making sure everything is ported over correctly takes time. I make no promises on when or if this version will recieve any updates.

A tiny fanmade demake of Terraria in PICO-8! Now with multiplayer!
If you haven't already, please consider getting the original game. This is only a small portion of what Terraria has to offer!

And if you enjoy this demake, please consider supporting me by buying one of my other games over on itch.io: https://pixelshock.itch.io/

Controls:

How to play?

Due to PICO-8 only having 2 buttons, I've had to use the system pause key and a keyboard key for the inventory buttons. This unfortunately means that you have to use a keyboard for this.
If sitting that close together is uncomfortable (or impossible due to restrictions), you should be able to use 2 keyboards, one for each player, and sit an appropriate distance apart.

Player 1:
Z/C/N - Jump
X/V/M - Use item
Left/Right arrows - Move
Up/Down arrows - Aim tool up or down
P/Enter - Open crafting/inventory screen

Player 2:
Tab/W - Jump
Q/A - Use item
S/F - Move
E/D - Aim tool up or down
T - Open crafting/inventory screen

Inventory screen:
🅾️ - Pick up item or craft
❎ - Move selected item to trash
⬆️/⬇️ - Scroll / change selected item
⬅️ - Go to Left side
➡️(Left side) - Go to Right side
➡️(Right side) - Recover trashed item

General tips:

• Cut trees with the axe, mine blocks with the pickaxe, and attack enemies with the sword.
  • To craft items, open the inventory and press left to go to the crafting column. There you can press O/Z to craft one of the highlighted item or hold it to keep crafting that item until you let go or run out of materials.
  • You can drop items one at a time by picking them up from your inventory (so it "floats" to the side) and then pressing the trash key. If done incorrectly, you can recover the item from trash by pressing right.
  • To change the selected item, open the inventory and press up or down, then close the inventory.
  • Platforms are placed one block lower while moving horizontally to make building platform bridges easier. Just hold the use item button and walk!
  • Hold down, X and left or right while holding a block to build a platform horizontally.
  • Hold down, X and jump while holding a block to build vertically.

Features:

• A large map of 256x128 tiles, stored using the extended memory.
  • Various biomes: Forest, Jungle, Corruption, Underground, Caverns, and Underground Jungle.
  • 4 bosses: King Slime, Eye of Cthulhu, Ocram, and Plantera. (The Eye of Cthulhu and Ocram are night bosses and therefore can only be fought at night time)
  • Many enemies for each biome and underground, with most having multiple variants. (24 in total)
  • Slightly less fancy world generation with spaghetti caves.
  • Mining and crafting.
  • Various melee and ranged weapons. Ranged weapons automatically aim towards the nearest visible target, prioritising bosses.
  • A basic palette fade lighting system, with a day-night cycle.
  • Quite a few progression/recipe changes due to space limitations, details in the original version's thread. (Link in the banner above)
  • Life Crystals and Shadow Orbs to smash!

Issues:

• Unsure, but mobs may be unable to spawn around player one. I'll have to check to make sure.

Frequently Asked Questions (Probably) and Information

• How do I do < insert something here >?
  • Why can't I save in this version?
    • I already answered that above, but anyway, unfortunately I had to scrap that, among other things, just to get split-screen to even work.
  • Why is this a separate cartridge?
    • Because there wasn't enough space in the main cart, and to my knowledge, there isn't much I can do to further optimise what's there.
  • Why is the performance so bad I want a refund.
    • First of all, it was pushing the limits already with one player, a second one just makes basically everything player-related cost twice as much (and I kind of just threw it together). Second, this is a free product!
P#108886 2022-03-20 09:36 ( Edited 2022-12-24 04:09)

It's better than I expected xD

P#108931 2022-03-20 15:49

I LOVE IT!!!

P#108950 2022-03-21 00:22

Woaw so crazy to see you have also made a 2 player version :)
I understand that there is no save possibility, but will you try to improve the rest of the code like the official version ?
Thanks

P#122800 2022-12-21 10:52

So Cool. I just can't seem to be able to upload my save

P#122920 2022-12-24 02:54

On non the multipleyer version i don't can load my game

P#122923 2022-12-24 03:47 ( Edited 2022-12-24 03:48)

@Suru48 @Dobroposter

Yeah, this version doesn't support save files unfortunately. I would love to add support, though I'm not sure if it's possible yet.

P#122926 2022-12-24 04:06

no no no no no no no no no non multiplayer version

P#122988 2022-12-25 05:15 ( Edited 2022-12-25 05:17)

i cant move up or down in my inventory using the arrow keys

P#127673 2023-03-27 15:35 ( Edited 2023-03-27 15:35)

@ricencurie

Is the inventory open while you're doing that? Press Enter for player 1 or T for player 2

P#127688 2023-03-27 21:05

i dont like thi is bad.

P#132014 2023-07-16 02:23

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 21:54:36 | 0.079s | Q:36