Cart #scraps_logic-9 | 2022-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Scraps Logic

Use logic circuits to resolve open-ended puzzle in a post-capitalist society.

How to play :

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ or mouse to move the cursor.
❎ or left click to grab or drop a module or a cable:

❎ or left click on a socket to plug or unplug a cable :

🅾️ or right click to remove the module or cable currently held :

You can access the tutorial at anytime during a puzzle using the pause menu.

Truth Table and Cheat Sheet :

AND : Output 1 if both inputs are 1.
OR : Output 1 if any input is 1.
XOR : Output 1 if both inputs are different.
SIGN SPLT : Split the signal in two.
NOT : Invert the signal.
MUX : if S is 0, output A, else output B.
DMUX: if S is 0, Output A to Y, else, output A to Z.

Postmortem :

After making a code snippet for hanging cables using Bézier curve, I wanted to make a game around it and started to draw a mockup on The Gimp to see it how it would fit on the PICO-8 :

and started implementing a crude prototype :

and slowly modeled it to look like the mockup :

I wanted to tie the puzzles together with a small story, using a short introductive text for each one of them, with the whole text contained in a single screen (± 320 chars).
In retrospect, this self-imposed limitation was too constraining, making really hard to fit both the puzzle explanation and the narrative justification inside such a small space.

It's also the first project where I hit the token limit, and it was mostly due to lack of planning and the code evolving into a weird mess, but it's a valuable lesson for next time.

Wanted to keep the game simple, I didn't add flip-flop, but I will add them if I ever do a sequel, they open-up so much possibility for interesting puzzle that I kinda regret not adding them here.

Thanks to A Mysterious Playtester, Eeooty, Heracleum, Merwok, Minerobber, Ohhcurtains, SoundsDotZip (and his friend, "A Windows Boi"), SquidLight and Thomas Fabretti for their time and valuable feedbacks during playtesting.

changelog

2022-12-17:

• fixed lvl 6 inputs values

2022-11-24:

• updated best scores for lvl 6 and 9

2022-11-02:

• added [?] button to access in-game truth tables
  • updated best score entry for lvl 7
  • Mouse support now using PICO-8 own button emulation

2022-10-29:

• prevented any circuit-board input to be empty due to randomness
  • switched lore to multi-line strings (more readable source code)
  • added a finial to credits' flag
  • added error in case player try to plug an input to an input or and output to an output

2022-10-28:

• added Konami code support
  • saved tokens on welcome screen
  • added average design score values
  • updated best design score values

2022-10-27:

• correction to best design values

2022-10-27:

• gold & release
P#119266 2022-10-27 13:19 ( Edited 2022-12-17 12:20)

Level 4 was tricky but I figured it out :^)

P#119655 2022-10-27 14:53

AMAZING!

P#119660 2022-10-27 16:16

this game is fantastic! some thoughts:

• huge shenzen.io vibes -- loved that game
  • the UI is excellent -- it's so quick and easy to rearrange the way the wires attach
  • I wish the "success!" banner didn't block me from taking screenshots
  • has anyone figured out a good use for dmux? I know what it does (had to refresh my memory) but I never used it, and was able to get best or better for all except level 9
  • I wish my solutions were saved (I know pico8 probably doesn't have enough save memory for that... maybe saving/loading to clipboard strings?)
  • are the "best" solutions the best known solutions? I suspect they might be the best "reasonable" solution, or might just be artificially high to make me feel smart for beating them (which worked!) but I'd also like to know the best known solutions.
  • I wish I could skip levels; I reloaded this page and my browser must not be saving cookies or something b/c my progress reset itself

some solutions:

• 3: better than "best"

• 6: hey, it works! haha

• 7: better than "best"

• 9: so close!! this is the last one I haven't gotten best or better on...

• 10: better than "best" -- I'm quite happy with this one

P#119695 2022-10-27 23:58 ( Edited 2022-10-28 00:01)

@Verb well, actually for level 4...

a single module is enough 😉

P#119700 2022-10-28 00:29

@Heracleum

That's what I found out after making a truth table for the whole program and realizing how closely it resembled one of the modules. My final solution has more pretty wires though and is good for job security.

P#119702 2022-10-28 00:51

@pancelor

> • are the "best" solutions the best known solutions? I suspect they might be the best "reasonable" solution, or might just be artificially high to make me feel smart for beating them (which worked!) but I'd also like to know the best known solutions.

Initial plan was to use SCORESUB() to share the number of gates between players, but SCORESUB() is not yet implemented in PICO-8 0.2.5c.

Until then I will simply manually update the cart with new best/averages every now and then.

> • I wish my solutions were saved (I know pico8 probably doesn't have enough save memory for that... maybe saving/loading to clipboard strings?)

Clipboard saving is a great idea ! I doesn't have enough token left to implement it now, but I will keep it in mind for next time, thanks !

P#119741 2022-10-28 06:54

I've completed this game with decent solutions. Haven't gained best solutions yet but will look for them.

P#120027 2022-11-03 04:51

I love it. The execution is wonderful! I love seeing those bezier cables jiggle and the LCD displays are great. I can almost smell hot plastic.

I haven't completed the game yet but I managed to beat some of the best solutions but then realised that it was just good RNG. As an example,

I was able to finish lvl 6 with only 2 XORs on my first playthrough.
Maybe you should lock the seed for the output patterns?

Great job anyway!

P#122570 2022-12-16 20:27

@pck404

The first half of the input isn't RNG, but I forgot to add a case were all of them were 1 at the same time. Thanks for the report, I will fix it.

P#122596 2022-12-17 12:05

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:54:00 | 0.083s | Q:35