What is Golden Gorge?
Golden Gorge is a 2d pixel art platformer made in PICO-8 including: unique bosses, characters, mini-maps and enemies.
Arrow Keys = Move
X/V = Pickaxe
Z/C = Jump
What's the Aim?
The aim is to get back to the ship harbour before it leaves meeting friends and foes along the way.
What can I do when I'm Done?
You can check out the Discord Server and YouTube Channel of course!
if you’re looking for some notes:
nice use of custom menu items! I do it too for debug options
I think you meant for dark blue in your character sprite to be transparent:
during dialogue, jumps still happen
- I exited the house but dialogue continued
(edited — fixed now!)
bbs has a work in progress category (you can edit thread to move there then move back to cartridges when finished)
- your post markup is incorrect (everything is a heading instead of normal paragraphs)
hope this helps!
- nice cover art.
- music is good
- the exploration is good. I liked the metroidvania-like map and the little descriptions for each room.
- the boss fights are interesting
- I like the dialogs. They give the characters a bit of personality
- it just seems really easy to die to mobs. The pick only has a small attack damage/range and all mobs take multiple hits to kill.
- dying doesn't have much consequence other than moving you back a few rooms, and where you get sent back seems arbitrary.
- digging ores is a little slow & tedious. I also didn't know they took multiple hits or what the + meant, so I thought they weren't diggable at first. Ores also spawn in weird places like in lava or the inside of houses.
- talking to an npc doesn't freeze you or mobs.
- The crustacean boss was still spinning when I died and immediately re-entered.
- give npcs an alternate shorter dialog after you talk to them
- speed up digging ores and give a little more visual effect to show your digging.
- make buttons/switches easier to see
- give flying mobs 1 health
- make the PC bounce a little higher on crabs
- give the crustacean boss less health; enough to go like 3 rounds of hitting/jumping.
- make savepoint objects to respawn to.
- Bridge the bee boss's room so you don't immediately die when entering, then remove the bridges and make the boss appear when the PC reaches the center.
[Please log in to post a comment]