Hi all,

On a whim, I thought I'd try the dset/dget on PICO-8 after uploading to itch.io.

I got relatively excited, as I noticed after a refresh, the dget did indeed return the previous number saved. I thought I was on to a winner!

But as it turned out (I think) this is more of a local save. Perhaps in a cookie? I tried on a different browser, and the value had not been set.

I was hoping to get a high score table of sorts in itch.io. I figured they may clear their files regularly, but at least it could be there for a while. I think I'm being optimistic !

Anyone have any ideas how I might implement something like this on itch.io?

P#114890 2022-07-27 08:43 ( Edited 2022-07-27 08:45)

dset is indeed using browser local storage.
there is no save facility offered by Itch (afaik), other platforms do (Newgrounds has medals &achievements).

Alternative is to spin your own server, communicate with gpio, manage security…

FYI, pico8 will have score boards later (this year?).

P#114894 2022-07-27 11:14

Thanks @freds72.

I'm a humble coder with who doesn't have the nous to get his head around that kind of thing.

So is there a roadmap then of upcoming features?

I was happy enough to pay $15 for this console, but it seems difficult to get a steer on how bugs and issues are being managed.

P#114895 2022-07-27 11:30 ( Edited 2022-07-27 11:34)

> dget did indeed return the previous number saved. I thought I was on to a winner!
> But as it turned out (I think) this is more of a local save.

cart data is only ever for local saving of scores (or any data you can fit in), for real pico8 as well as exports or bbs. docs: https://www.lexaloffle.com/dl/docs/pico-8_manual.html#Cartridge_Data

as for a roadmap, there isn’t one. people make games with what’s available, we have some idea of what’s missing for the final version (phone apps, online scores), but in general the atmosphere and expectations is really like we’re getting a home computer from a company in another country in the 80s/90s, not modern public «follow me» style.

P#114928 2022-07-28 17:01

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 11:40:54 | 0.012s | Q:15