I've been working on a platformer game engine for a little while, but I'd only made a basic run-and-jump. This was an excuse to develop something more capable. While I'm not immediately planning to demake an entire Mega Man game, with PicoMap, my metatile-based map system, it seems possible. I've been working on pixel art and layouts for some levels, so I'll see where things go.
- Added start menu with 8 selectable weapons
- Weapon type changes character colors
- Each weapon type has unique behavior
- Addded entity spawning system
- Added enemies that fire bullets at player and respawn
- Added simple explosions when enemies are destroyed
- Added a couple frames of coyote time for jumping off of platform edges
- Improved ladder collision
- Under 2000 tokens
- Added teleport intro and auto restart
- Added damage system and energy meter
- Tweaked run animation
- 60 fps
- Variable jump height
- Scrolling threshold
- Full character animation
- Shooting while running, jumping, and climbing
- Insta-kill spikes
- Death explosions
- Conveyor belts
- Under 1000 tokens
Enter--------Weapon Select Menu
Awesome game prototype! It looks very good and it feels a lot like the original Megaman games too. I've very interested in seeing what kind of game you end up making with this engine.
If I had to criticize one thing though, I think it would be good if you added a few frames of hang time where you can jump just after walking of the edge of a platform, as the lack of such a feature had me fall into a spike pit one time when it didn't really feel fair. I hope you're open to including that.
I'm thinking I'll at least make a playable classic Mega Man level or two, and maybe try making a brand new one. As far as original stuff, I guess I'll figure it out as I go.
I agree that the ground collision box feels just slightly off for jumps, like it needs to let your back foot rest on the ground for another pixel or so. I'll experiment and see if I can find a solution that feels the same as the original.
[Please log in to post a comment]