The last inventories thing I needed for 0.3.3: adaptive formatting (an extreme example). Each inventory item is assigned a group (left, middle, right), and it does its best to figure out how to format everything in a sensible way that doesn't jump around too much and doesn't overlap. I had to be careful not to end up with a 1996 html table renderer!

It's possible with the new inventory system to display the capacity of an item (e.g. empty slots for up to 5 potions), to draw different icons for wielded or carried, and to draw different icons depending on how much ammo each one has.

To handle 1p vs multiplayer inventories, you can tag animations with context information -- how many players should exist for them to be displayed and with which attributes. For example, a single player inventory might show a row of potions, but when playing multiplayer it might be displayed as a single icon with a number to save space.

There's not long to go before 0.3.3 -- just a few microscripting details and converting legacy cartridges over to the new system on load. 0.3.4 will be a smaller follow-up, so let me know if there's something you're hanging out for, and I'll see if I can bump it up, or make sure it will be possible with Lua scripting later on. Things that were recently mentioned and are already confirmed:

• pico-8 music tracker and music triggering (and some new music!)
  • custom inventories with selection and/or button bindings
  • inventory microscripting (check for number of arrows in a quiver etc.)
  • items that share the same ammo (e.g. all spells cost MP)
  • id duplication and aliasing bugs after copy/paste
  • fixed density allowing actors to sink in liquid
  • scroll-wheel zoom, mb3 camera movement , alt-click mb2 emulation
  • fixed total playtime bug for speedruns, made restarts faster

There are a few things that are wishlisted, but might be better suited to Lua scripting later on:

• player selection menu
  • separate inventory menu
  • assigning chase targets to monsters (for waypoints or making snakey monsters)
  • arcade style lives
P#11425 2015-07-02 20:26 ( Edited 2015-08-19 00:55)

Zep I don' think you need that many potions XD

I was wondering will healing items be able to heal more than 1 heart In the new update? Or am I just being obllivious and it was possible in 0.3.2?
Also What would be the max Items you can have in your inventory if there is a max? Or just max it to where new items will be invisible or off screen?

P#11432 2015-07-03 12:41 ( Edited 2015-07-03 16:41)

It's not possible in 0.3.2 but will be in 0.3.3 -- inventory item objects can now mirror their host player's life. This means that life can (optionally) be treated as a regular inventory item like anything else, and pickups can set how much life to add on collection.

There isn't a max total items yet -- only max per item. So you have to make sure there isn't enough stuff in the world to overflow the hud! I decided to leave this to Lua scripting for things like having a maximum inventory weight or whatever. If there are going to be a lot of items and space is an issue, you can normally just use numbers to show ammo, and keep the icons small when they're not weilded / selected.

P#11438 2015-07-03 19:55 ( Edited 2015-07-03 23:56)

Awesome! This will make somethings so much easier!

P#11451 2015-07-04 15:38 ( Edited 2015-07-04 19:38)

I'd love to see chase targets for monsters. I have many ideas that I can't make a reality because monsters can't chase each other.

P#11576 2015-07-12 19:01 ( Edited 2015-07-12 23:01)

I realize it has been rather long since this has gotten a comment, but...

Chase Targets? Allied Monsters shall soon be a possible thing then?

Also, there should be an option to show ammo left as a bar, or some other graphical representation
other than either Items or a number. For Starship Combat I plan on having a few weapons be
represented by bars. Are you able to do that already as the update is now, or is this a good suggestion?

P#12515 2015-08-09 15:56 ( Edited 2015-08-09 19:56)

@Pance
Chase targets have been provisionally deferred until Lua scripting is available because they need to be quite flexible to be useful. but it's understandably a really commonly requested feature -- I'll try to find a stop-gap solution.

@RandomCommander
Yeah, allied monsters, exactly! I call them sidekicks and plan to use them in Voxatron Area. e.g. crack open an egg and a little guy follows you around shooting at the closet enemy.

Showing ammo as a bar will be possible in 0.3.2. You can set the quantity each displayed item represents, and so can do it by displaying many tiny bar segments which are 1 or 2 voxels wide and worth 0.1 life or whatever.

P#12516 2015-08-09 19:31 ( Edited 2015-08-09 23:32)

Hey all -- a wee update on 0.3.3. I've just finished multiplayer inventories, so that you can define layout in a semi-unified way. The same cartridge inventory looks like this with 1,2,3 and 4 players:

Animations contained inside inventory item definitions have extra options to specify when and how they are displayed in the HUD:

It's a little complex as a result of being flexible, but I think it will be possible for most users to copy example inventories and draw over them without needing to understand the details.

I'm currently updating Bloot and Chaos Fortress to use the new inventory and multiplayer features, so that it will be a bit easier to see what has changed in the next update. After that I'll call it a cooked goose and upload 0.3.3. See you on the flipside!

P#12775 2015-08-18 20:55 ( Edited 2015-08-19 00:55)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 09:14:10 | 0.011s | Q:23