Cart #dragon_castle_v1-2 | 2022-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Dragon Castle
・ Action RPG
・ Play time is about 60 minutes

Control
・Direction key: Move the player

About the game
・ You are a brave warrior. The game is over when you defeat the dragon and get the crown.
・ Let's find out the hidden tools
・ Defeat enemies, gain experience points, and level up.
・ There is no attack button, let's hit the body
・ HP recovers if not moving
・ Auto save

This game was inspired by the hydride of PC-88.

P#108182 2022-03-07 11:34 ( Edited 2022-03-12 06:41)

I played for about 10 minutes, then had to go to work. Based on the look, I thought it would be a very basic game, but the gameplay was surprisingly good. Using only movement was interesting and the leveling is well done. I'm so glad for the autosave. I'll come back and finish later.

I wish it had music.

P#108190 2022-03-07 14:18 ( Edited 2022-03-07 14:19)

Pretty good Pico8 version of Hydlide, took me like 90 minutes and it was pretty good, but I wish there was more to do, as after you fight the dragon and get everything there's not much to do, you can fight the giant slime but other than that there's really nothing, and also the Delete Save doesn't work

P#108277 2022-03-08 17:28 ( Edited 2022-03-08 17:41)

I finished it! This was really good. At first I thought it would be a dinky little game, but it was really well done and full of interesting puzzles. The progression was good, and the items opened up the world in interesting ways that had me revisiting things I'd seen before but couldn't get to. Comparable to the original Zelda in many ways. One of the items that was hidden was particularly helpful. If this had music, and maybe a few small tweaks, it could be a really amazing total package. Maybe I'll spend some time messing with it myself.

What did the Golden Apple do, btw? It didn't seem to do anything, though it did feel good to place it. I also couldn't tell what the ring did for me.

Some constructive criticism:

• Give a little popup with the name of the items and what they do when you pick them up.
  • While overall the balance was good with enemy difficulty vs. player level and the progression of the game, I did have to do some pretty heavy grinding in the level 2 - 4 range, at that map below the starting one with the 3 soldiers that give you a potion. I had to visit that screen over a dozen times to be able to move on.
  • Normally, enemies move once every second or so, but when I am next to one and I try to run away, they stick to me like glue, moving just as fast as I do.

Well done!

P#108287 2022-03-08 19:22 ( Edited 2022-03-08 19:25)

I am LOVING this game (mostly for autosave) and yes it definitely has strong moods of HYDLIDE for the 8-bit Nintendo, @sio3.

https://youtu.be/LgFtO1FCSko

If I have one suggestion. If you enter the room your home room, your hit points could increase quite quickly. The only alternative is to automatically kill your player in the effort to reset your hits to maximum.

Since you appear in the opening room, make that a HEALING room so your hits are restored there. You could also make other healing rooms that appear later in the game.

I did this suggestion HERE:

Cart #dragon_castle_v1_mod-0 | 2022-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Superb work here otherwise. Gold star to put on your shield !

P#108293 2022-03-08 19:40 ( Edited 2022-03-08 20:14)

I played through it again with the mod version (this time getting the shield which felt really good to find like most other items), and my only suggestion to that version is for more healing rooms, My ideas are for the Golden Apple room (after you place the apple), and the room before the castle @dw817

P#108326 2022-03-09 14:23

I’ve had a great time playing this game, and It’s been a real blast since I played it. I’ve actually been working on making some better graphics for the game and composing some music for it as well. I’ll post it here when I’m done with it.

There were a handful of things I had problems with in the game however.
The delete save doesn’t work (I’d suggest a for loop that reset all the cart data values and then reboots the game) being that I play this a lot I’d be nice to restart and get a new time for beating it

Additionally the bump combat is a little janky, it’s not very strategic or interesting, it’s just “if you have a higher level you win”. I understand this is inspired by Hydlide which had bump combat but that game had the same issue so maybe an sword button that you could swing your sword with.

But this game is great and I’ve had a blast playing it, oh and are those UNO cards in the graveyard?

P#108449 2022-03-11 16:22

Thank you, everyone!

I uploaded a new version.
・ Health recovery speed increases at the starting point
・ Music has been added
・ Some effects have been added

P#108487 2022-03-12 08:10

[Please log in to post a comment]