Cart #monochromeninja_sandbox-24 | 2022-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to PICOCRAFT, a Minecraft demake with extra features! This is my second finished PICO-8 cartridge. If there's features you would like to see in this or bugs that you find, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave a comment! I hope you like this. :)

Changelog

1/30/2022: v1.17.1 Fixed Destroyer bug where they weren't destroying the blocks above them (it was destroying the block above the player, oops).
12/15/2021: v1.17 Added Bombs, DBombs (Destroyer Bombs), and made those damage you in Health mode if you're too close. (This will probably be the final major 1.x update, since I hit the token limit while coding this. Still, I'm proud of how far I've come with this!)
12/11/2021: v1.16 Fixed mining air playing the mining sound in creative mode, added coordinate overlay (in pause menu), added Health gamemode (don't fall too far!), and saving the gamemode. (To convert a prior save to this version, append "#1#1" to the end.)
12/10/2021: v1.15 Gamemode selection updated, weak mode added (no placing/breaking blocks), creative mode updated (break blocks instantly with your fist).
12/9/2021: v1.14 Conveyer-Springs added!
12/8/2021: v1.13 Orbs now stack (2x Speed Orb --> 2x the speed!) and work when placed in the world, and the OMNITOOL has been added -- a combo of the three main tools.
12/4/2021: v1.12 Added Creative Mode, accessible through the pause menu!
12/3/2021: v1.11 Added Orbs, vertical Movers, and made it so that mining Movers or open Doors give you the default version of themselves (e.g. open Doors give closed ones).
12/2/2021: v1.10.2 Fixed A BUNCH OF FEATURES NOT EXISTING (see below changelog for why).
12/2/2021: v1.10.1 Fixed max crafting/smelting not EXISTING WHAT
12/2/2021: v1.10 Changed controls from ESDF to WASD! YAY!!
11/30/2021: v1.9 Added skin chooser in pause menu! (To convert a prior save to this version, append "#1" to the end.)
11/28/2021: v1.8 Fixed buggy box moving, and added color blocks!
11/28/2021: v1.7 Added max crafting/smelting! Craft a whole bunch. (Note: This effectively just speeds up pressing Z a bunch of times -- even if you would use the last of an item, it's not entirely sure if you would, so play it safe and leave a slot open.)
11/28/2021: v1.6.1 The v1.6 bug fix caused performance issues after using a world with a LOT of Movers, so I fixed that. :)
11/28/2021: v1.6 Fixed bug with Block Movers not updating after being moved. Now you can make spaceships!
[16x8]

11/26/2021: v1.5.2 Made Block Mover unable to move Bedrock or items that need to be supported (e.g. Workbench).
11/26/2021: v1.5.1 Changed Stone Mover to Block Mover.
11/26/2021: v1.5 Leaves' breaking time scales with axes, destroyers and movers added.
11/26/2021: v1.4 Fixed bug with loaded games not being able to be resaved.
11/26/2021: v1.3 Added shovels and axes.
11/26/2021: v1.2 Fixed workbench cursor glitch.
11/26/2021: v1.1 Added day-night cycle saving and ladders. (To convert a v1.0 save to v1.1, append "#0" to the end.)
11/25/2021: v1.0 Initial release.

v1.10.2 Storytime

So apparently, somehow a bunch of changes in my working copy got reverted, leading me to have to download a previous version and make a few updates. Luckily, it all worked out, but it wasn't without stress. I honestly have no clue how this revert happened, but let's hope it doesn't happen in the future.

PICOCRAFT GUIDE

CONTROLS

Gameplay

A: Move left
D: Move right
W: Jump (hold to jump higher)
1-9: Select inventory slot
Scroll wheel: Scroll through inventory slots
Left click: Mine block
Right click: Place item
Z (while hovering over block): Interact
X: Open crafting
X (while standing in front of utility): Use utility

Gameplay (Creative Mode only)

Up: Add 1 item to current slot
Down: Remove 1 item from current slot
Left, Right: Cycle through items in current slot

Crafting, Smelting

W: Move up
S: Move down
Z: Make item
Q: Make max amount of item
X: Exit menu

Box

A: Move left
D: Move right
W: Move item from inventory to box
S: Move item from box to inventory
Z (hold): Move entire slot
X: Exit menu

BLOCKS & ITEMS

Natural

Grass
[8x8]

• Drops dirt when mined. Plants can be placed on top.

Dirt
[8x8]

• Plants can be placed on top.

Stone
[8x8]

• Requires a pickaxe to be mined.

Iron Ore
[8x8]

• Requires a stone pickaxe or better to be mined.

Gem Ore
[8x8]

• Requires an iron pickaxe or better to be mined.

Wood
[8x8]

• The basic building block of crafting.

Leaf
[8x8]

• Drops a sapling when mined.

Bedrock
[8x8]

• Cannot be mined.

Sand
[8x8]

• Gives a "desert" vibe.

Sapling
[8x8]

• Eventually grows into a tree.

Utility

Workbench
[8x8]

• Unlocks more crafting recipes.

Smelter
[8x8]

• Allows you to smelt blocks.

Box
[8x8]

• Allows more storage. Cannot be mined when there are items inside.

Door
[16x8]

(Left: open, right: closed)

• Can be opened/closed by Interacting with it (Z).

Ladder
[8x8]

• Can be climbed by holding jump (E).

Decoration

Stone Bricks
[8x8]

Glass
[8x8]

Color Blocks

Navy
[8x8]

Purple
[8x8]

Green
[8x8]

Brown
[8x8]

Light Gray
[8x8]

White
[8x8]

Red
[8x8]

Orange
[8x8]

Yellow
[8x8]

Lime
[8x8]

Light Blue
[8x8]

Lavender
[8x8]

Pink
[8x8]

Peach
[8x8]

Materials

Wood Planks
[8x8]

• The REAL building block of of crafting.

Stick
[8x8]

• Allows you to make tools.

Iron Ingot
[8x8]

• Smelted iron ore.

Gem
[8x8]

• Smelted gem ore.

Tools

Wood Pickaxe
[8x8]

• The first pickaxe. Can mine stone.

Stone Pickaxe
[8x8]

• The second pickaxe. Can mine iron ore.

Iron Pickaxe
[8x8]

• The third pickaxe. Can mine gem ore.

Gem Pickaxe
[8x8]

• The fourth pickaxe. Can mine even faster.

Wood Shovel
[8x8]

• Mines dirt, grass, and sand faster than your hands.

Stone Shovel
[8x8]

• Mines dirt, grass, and sand faster than a wood shovel.

Iron Shovel
[8x8]

• Mines dirt, grass, and sand faster than a stone shovel.

Gem Shovel
[8x8]

• Mines dirt, grass, and sand faster than an iron shovel.

Wood Axe
[8x8]

• Mines logs faster than your hands.

Stone Axe
[8x8]

• Mines logs faster than a wood axe.

Iron Axe
[8x8]

• Mines logs faster than a stone axe.

Gem Axe
[8x8]

• Mines logs faster than an iron axe.

Wood Omnitool
[8x8]

• Combination of wood pick, shovel, and axe.

Stone Omnitool
[8x8]

• Combination of stone pick, shovel, and axe.

Iron Omnitool
[8x8]

• Combination of iron pick, shovel, and axe.

Gem Omnitool
[8x8]

• Combination of gem pick, shovel, and axe.

Generators

Ore Gen
[8x8]

• Place stone on top. It will eventually become ore.

Dirt Gen
[8x8]

• Creates dirt on top.

Stone Gen
[8x8]

• Creates stone on top.

Sand Gen
[8x8]

• Creates sand on top.

Automation

Block Mover
[8x8]

• Moves blocks from behind to the front, if possible. Direction can be changed by Interacting with it (Z).

Ore Mover
[8x8]

• Moves ore from behind to the front, if possible. Direction can be changed by Interacting with it (Z).

Destroyer
[8x8]

• Destroys the block on top and gives it to you, if possible. No, it can't break bedrock.

Conveyer-Spring
[8x8]

• Either moves you side-to-side or makes you jump. Direction can be changed by Interacting with it (Z).

Bombs

Bomb
[8x8]

• Interact with it (Z) to make it explode. Don't stand too close though, or you'll take damage in Health mode.

DBomb
[8x8]

• The same as a Bomb, but if possible, it will try to give you the blocks it explodes.

Orbs

Speed Orb
[8x8]

• Hold this in your hand to go fast!

Jump Orb
[8x8]

• Hold this in your hand to jump high!

Rise Orb
[8x8]

• Hold this in your hand to slowly rise!

FURTHER NOTES

• The save and load functionality works on your clipboard. Saving (accessible through the pause menu) copies your save to your clipboard, while loading uses the paste function.
  • The arrows in the crafting and smelting menus turn red when the recipe is inaccessible.
  • Each slot in your inventory can stack up to 9999 items, while each slot in a box can stack up to 99 items.
  • If you're out of space in your inventory, you won't be able to mine items that won't stack.
  • Tip: Place a pickaxe down if you're out of space! You can always mine it back up later.
  • The amount of items in the selected inventory slot is displayed at the end of the bar.
  • Tip: Place a destroyer under a block that normally gives you something else to pick it up easily (e.g. leaves).
P#100809 2021-11-26 00:04 ( Edited 2022-01-30 15:38)

I REALLY like this
nice job!
only, the jumping feels moonlike, I go up and s l o w l y fall down.
besides that, it is very epic!
<3

P#102080 2021-12-08 23:10

@SandwichBlam Are you holding jump as you fall? That effectively decreases the gravity -- you fall faster if you don't hold jump while falling. :)

P#102114 2021-12-08 23:49

I liked this game very much! I had fun playing it. I think this game is really good, the only thing I'd like to added to the game is enemies. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

While messing around with the code, I found out that if you break the bedrock that prevents you from going out-of-bounds, there's an extra barrier preventing you from going out.

P#103212 2021-12-20 21:48 ( Edited 2021-12-20 21:52)

@evman2k Hehe nice! And as for enemies, I probably won't add them (this is meant to be a relaxing experience).

P#103213 2021-12-20 21:51

Might I request a few things...

I found a bug with destroyers.

While it does give a copy of the block above it in your inventory, it doesn't break the block. It ends up giving you copies of the block above it in quick succession. So quick that you can get more than a hundred blocks in less than a second! The only way to stop it is to mine the destroyer or to mine the block above it. For being called destroyers, they don't really live up to their name...

Fast healing in "health mode".

A fall from top to bottom in health mode doesn't only takes away 10 hearts. Being close to a bomb explosion takes away about 5 hearts. While that might seem significant, healing is almost quick enough where the only way to die is to do it intentionally.

Other than that, this is a really good Minecraft demake. I love how you made some blocks function as farms and other blocks help to make a cool build. I hope to see this cart evolve in the near future!

P#105945 2022-01-30 06:50

@Andrew_Is_Funny Ok so funny story! I actually knew about the destroyer bug but just forgot about it for a while, so thanks for reminding me! It's now fixed. As for the health mode thing, I don't really know how I would change it to be more punishing. Maybe by increasing the time between healing...

P#105972 2022-01-30 15:39

WOW THERE IS ALOT OF CONTENT HERE!!!!

its very fun, but the art is like, meh. But other than that really great!

( i see you are more a programmer than a artist )

8/10

P#115184 2022-08-03 07:07

It is cool game but for saving game i saving game for clipboard then i quit my world and my game saved!!!

P#122921 2022-12-24 03:30 ( Edited 2022-12-24 03:31)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 22:22:46 | 0.067s | Q:32