Hmm, yeah there's something weird going on with platforms... must have broken them with blockswap or something.
The Silver Brick issue is what I get for forgetting to make sure it's a block.
Spawn-proofing may be possible, but I wouldn't count on it.
Tentacle Spike is just a melee weapon. Kind of strong, medium speed.
cubee, you are quite impressive, fitting so much into one pico-8 cart!
1.4.2b: A couple of bugfixes and a use for campfires
- Silver Brick is now actually a block. (oops)
- Fixed platform placement being broken. I was checking the target tile before offsetting it instead of after.
- Reverted a token optimisation that accidentally removed mouse-based block placement. It appears this also fixed diagonal mining without the mouse.
- Mobs can no longer spawn within a 17x15 tile rectangle centred on a campfire. Due to this, campfires are now a bit more expensive to craft, requiring 3 torches instead of 1.
Stat counts: 8190/8192 tokens, 41420/65535 chars, 100% compressed size
It's incredible to see the updates continuing, I especially like the new campfire mechanics as it allows for spawn-proofing boss arenas.
One thing I noticed that I think is a bug is enemies sometimes spawning in the wrong areas. Particularly underground enemies like black slimes, skeletons, cave bats, and blue versions of the beetles would rarely spawn on the surface. However, this only started happening after I went underground for the first time.
In terms of weapon balance, while it is really cool to see a lot of weapon diversity, I think that there are a couple that could use adjustments. By the time you get the Night's Edge and Terra Blade, normal swords become much less useful. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe those two could get a 10-20% size increase? Terra Blade could also use a projectile, but I doubt that there's room in the sprite sheet to add one.
Another suggestion is to decrease the damage of the Wand of Sparking and Flamethrower, but make their projectiles pierce. There isn't really a dedicated crowd control weapon, and this would give these two more dedicated niches outside of just being another ranged weapon with a different ammo type.
Anyways, you did a really good job in making a unique take on the Terraria experience, keep up the good work!
I do know about the wrong mob spawning, I've been thinking it's because of clay blocks or ores. Maybe wood blocks. (Edit: yes that was the cause)
I did implement a way to scale weapons, but scrapped it to gain tokens for bugfixes.
I could potentially add a Terra Blade projectile if I had the tokens to.
Making the flame weapons pierce... that may be possible? I do like that idea. (Edit: it's very possible)
@cubee please use my sprite for the terra beam that i posted a while ago
That sprite is a little too big unfortunately.
In addition: Terra Blade's rework in 1.4.4...
Terra Blade (Rework)
- Instead of a projectile sword beam fired on a cooldown, Terra Blade now fires a medium-long range, rapidly moving slash of green energy with every swing
I'll probably add the old-style projectile though, for nostalgia. (with a smaller sprite of course)
@cubee Oh, ok... could you atleast base the smaller one off of mine? Plus, i still wonder if there would one day be a quote on quote: "sandbox mode" practically being the normal terra with no differences except nothing deals damage to you and everything is free to craft. just creative mode with extra steps basically :|
da z e n i f. aka zenith demake
The black outline isnt necessary, its only there so its easy to see with its bright colors
Cubee, These are Angel Wings and Demon wings. I made these, and i have an idea on how they would work if you were to add them into terra.
Angel Wings and Demon Wings appear on the players back, with it looking like this.
And they would be crafted on a Cursed Forge with these ingredients:
Angel: 10 Lenses, 1 Soul of Flight
Demon: 10 Rotten Chunks, 1 Soul of Flight
A Soul of flight can be dropped from Demon eyes, Eater of souls, Cave Bats, Jungle Bats, And practically every airborne enemy in Terra; with a 1 in 50 chance, as long as there is a Cursed Forge anywhere in the world.
They work like this: They allow your player to fly for 6 seconds (you fly via holding down your jump key, the wings flap) if they are in your inventory. If you have both wings in your inventory, the one that is higher up in your hotbar will show: but both will give benefits.
Cubee, i really hope these get added to Terra, we have NO JUMP MOBILITY! ONLY HERMES BOOTS!
@CobaltNaginata I think there are no tokens left (and maybe sprites), but more items would always be cool, as well as more enemies and bosses
idc if its not added its just cool notice me cubee
Beyond not using the palette if you take a look in the cart you'll see there's no room left. In fact I've never seen a BBS cart with 100% compressed bytes. Quite the feat gg cubee
I think light system doesn't work like it should. Light level does not seem to change through day and night cycle.
a problem im having is going to the files to place a character i dont know how to get in to the files
I'm glad I get to play at least something like terria. because when I try to play it on my Xbox 360 it freaks out.
it would be cool if when picotron comes out, terra 2 gets made
1.4.3 (The NEW final final update!): Weapon updates, armour, and performance improvements, oh my!
Potential breaking change: Please let me know if you find any weird mob behaviour or crashes, as I've made significant changes to how that code works.
- Wand of Sparking and Flamethrower's flame projectiles now have piercing, and as such their damage has been lowered.
- Their projectiles are no longer affected by gravity.
- Gave the Terra Blade its (pre Terraria 1.4.4) projectile.
- Fixed underground mobs spawning on certain surface tiles for the rest of the session after going underground.
- Weapons now have a scale modifier.
- Due to this, many weapons have been made larger.
- Fixed the day-night cycle palette fade so it actually happens again.
Other Main Changes:
- Added a defence system for the player, with three different armour items to craft throughout a playthrough.
- These function from the inventory, the same way Hermes Boots do. Only the strongest armour piece counts toward defence.
- Some enemy and boss stats have been increased as a result.
- The later pieces may be a little overpowered, we'll have to see.
- A few graphical updates.
- Black has been replaced with its corresponding secret palette colour on the lightest two palettes.
- Some mobs and items have had minor changes.
- Most walls and a couple of blocks have been changed.
- The crafting screen now displays the items required for the selected recipe.
- When the inventory is closed, unselected hotbar slots will progress off-screen to reduce screen clutter.
- Fixed EoC and Ocram's phase 2 transition animations.
- Eaters of Souls are now larger to better match their scale in Terraria.
Stat counts: 8173/8192 tokens, 41069/65535 chars, 99.76% compressed size
I still have no clue why it's still possible to fit more in, but whatever.
Edit: stealth re-release to fix some very broken things I missed when testing initially
1.4.3 has a new boss? if so, then why is there no info for it, not even it's name? is it a secret?
where did the idea there was a new boss come from? I don't see anything about it
1.4.3 has no new boss, BUT I was originally going to add the Twins (They do exist somewhat in a different copy of the game file) but I scrapped them to focus more on polishing the existing gameplay.
I accidentally left that version's update title in the changelog, I'll go fix that to avoid further confusion.
you are really good with pico 8, this is super impressive
Is there any way to disable music without turning off sound effects? It's kinda too short and repetitive, so it gets old really fast.
Haven't been here for a minute, the new update is crazy! Cool to see what this has turned into :).
@CobaltNaginata If you have the Pico-8 program, you can mod the cart to add in your sprites and stuff, since cubee isn't putting them in the main game.
No there's not, unfortunately. I find it a bit repetitive too.
more character + sprite space would be cool, even if there were no more tokens available
@CobaltNaginata when picotron comes out, we could port terra to it
Psst! I can help with that, if cubee approves, i can make an overhaul of terra, with a few of your ideas!
i dont know how to craft the armors
my school blocked the itch.io wiki
please tell me the recipes
@ZaiDaGamer i would really enjoy that
MAKE OCRAM DROP COBALT ORE (it would be epik, naginatas are a must)
I changed my name, busters.
My old name was CobaltNaginata; for those that need a refreshment of who I am/was.
Hey @cubee , I'm really enjoying Tera so far but some armor would be very handy. I know you intentionally emitted the equips/accessories system from Tera, but I'm wondering if you've considered adding a singular "armor" item (as opposed to helmet, chest, legs, etc) for different metals that gives a defense bonus by existing in the players inventory? It'd make fighting hornets and such less tedious without being a huge addition to the game.
how do I activate the mouse mode? even though I'm playing on a computer, I can't see the mouse.
I actually did exactly that in the last update!
There's 3 different armours: Gold, Demonite, and Jungle.
They work exactly as you suggested :)
In-game, hold the pause button (P or Enter) to open the system menu where the toggle button should be.
Press that and the mouse should appear.
[Please log in to post a comment]