I am planning on mabey adding the twins as 2 seperate bosses
red and green mechanical eyes (spazmatism and retanaiser respectevly)
1.3.1: Plantera update! (The update made with even more wizardry)
Now that he's actually important to progression, I've decided that he shouldn't be a secret anymore. The secret boss is Ocram, from the pre-1.3 versions of non-PC Terraria!
- Added some new weapons: Blade of Grass, Minishark, and Flamethrower. Also added some healing items.
- Fixed King slime so he actually gets faster as was intended, the only thing in the way was a variable that was wrong.
- Made Eye of Cthulhu actually leave at daytime again, it seems I forgot to re-enable it after testing at some point.
- Buffed Ocram. Now he is more like his original self, shooting lasers and all that. (Just the lasers)
- Added Plantera, bringing the total amount of bosses to 4. Craft her summon at the new Cursed Forge crafting station using the seeds dropped by Jungle Bats.
- Some bosses now need to be summoned in a specific biome. (Implemented by checking what music is playing)
- Added a different mob cap for EoC and Ocram's servants, now there is a limit of 8 mobs plus 4 extra that can only be servants, just so that they can still be a threat when the cap is reached.
- Modified how autoswing is applied to weapons to allow ranged weapons to also have autoswing and optimised item update code for tokens.
- Increase drop rates of gel and added a drop for some enemies that didn't have one.
- Fixed a consumable items duplication bug that was introduced with the 1.2 trashing items update.
- Added randomness to mob drops. They now randomly drop one more or less of their drop, except for bosses.
- Dogblaster is no longer craftable, it is now obtained from Plantera and is an endgame weapon, as it should be. It is the Dogblaster, after all.
Other changes can be found in the changelog in the main post.
Final stat counts: 8192 tokens, 42234/65535 chars, 99.56% compressed size
I am adding 2 new items:
golden seed (plantera drop)
terra blade (night's edge+golden seed)
dog gun is now golden seed + minishark
terra blade dmg may be unfair (60)
so i found 2 bugs in this version of the game. first: for some bizarre reason, when i shoot with the dogblaster, it looks like the bullets go backwards the direction i shot. at first, i don't think it's a pretty harmful bug, until you do enough times that the sprites of the bullets turns into enemies. and when i tested the dogblaster in the EoC, the game started to lag REAL bad. like, 3/4 frames per second. and then when i finally killed it, the game seems to lag only in the especific area where i fought him. i don't know HOW i did this, or if i can even do it again. and the second bug, ocram don't seem to spawn, even though i'm trying to spawn him in night time. i will try to save my game and see if this still happen edit: i tested a little more and yep, the first bug still happens. and it's not exactly what i thought it was i don't know why the enemies sprites appears, they just appear out of nowhere. it's just the eye, and the eater of souls. but don't know about the second one tho and uuuuuhh... zombie are dropping gel too???
k, so my first impressions of this version: i can't spawn ocram and idk why, some bizarre, ground breaking bugs, and i don't really know how to craft the new crafting station. so overall, idk if this is something that is happening just to me and ONLY me, but yeah. it definitely needs some bug fixes
Could you post a GIF (ctrl+9) of the backwards Dogblaster bug? It's not broken for me.
Are you summoning Ocram in the Corruption? If not, the last update made him only summonable there.
Player projectiles don't despawn anymore if they leave the world (since using MGET() for collisions), that may be the source of your slowdown. That will have to be fixed.
I've also found a bug in the flying AI enemies where they just go upwards if they're on the player's left side.
Zombies dropping gel is intentional, but I'll change it if I can think of something better.
I may change the recipe for the crafting station, for now it's a Soul of Blight and 4 Gold Bars
Player projectiles should despawn and the flying AI should work once again in the next bugfix update.
Cool, you got the mob string in, but why are the strings for the bosses (and the skeleton) missing? Compressed size limit?
Sprite 115 is a part of Ocram's legs/spike things.
Can I use your modification as the base for the next update?
not sure where the boss strings went
I've implemented your item palette swapping idea for the mobs, so now there's 6 free sprite slots.
As there's now 6 (edit: 5, one taken for infinite gel ammo) more sprite slots, I'm open to suggestions for more blocks, items or mobs (using fighter, flying, slime, or demon eye AI).
Items and blocks take one slot each, while standard mobs take two. Rotating mobs may take two or one, depending on if it animates or not.
Did you implement my idea of plantera drops a material and that is used to make the endgame gear?
btw, i noticed that the healing items... wasn't healing me at all. i don't know if you need to have a specific amount of health or something, but i tried to use healing potions with 289 health (i have 400 in total) and it didn't work. this don't work in both the healing potions and the mushrooms. and also, as of a suggestion for something to be added (because of the 5 free sprite slots), i would probably choose to put potions, but if it's not possible, then just add an ore that appears after you kill ocram (like Chlorophyte Ore)
Ok, I found out what that healing item problem was, the game wouldn't allow use of that type of item if max health was 400. That will be fixed for the next update.
Also, I think repeaters are a good idea as there are no auto-firing arrow weapons.
1.3.2: Many fixes, and some new stuff (Thanks to @Sup3raw3som3gam3r)
- Mob strings combined into one string.
- Palette swap for Jungle Bat.
- Added Terra Blade and Golden Seed.
cubee's main changes:
- Added a mass crafting feature to the crafting system: hold Z/O to keep crafting the same item until you release or run out of materials. (8182 tokens)
- You can now hold the up or down buttons to scroll the inventory and crafting bars due to the above change.
- Added Gel Pack, an endless variant of gel. (only usable as ammo)
- Added Cochineal Beetle (Caverns) and Lac Beetle (Underground Jungle) enemies that drop Beetle Husks.
- Added 2 repeaters: Demonite Repeater craftable after EoC, and Beetle Bow craftable after Ocram.
- Fixed potions not being consumable when the player had 400 max health.
- Ocram can no longer be summoned during the day, since he just leaves if you do so.
- Plantera now drops a Golden Seed, used to craft the Terra Blade and... a dog gun?
- Enemies can no longer randomly drop one extra item, but they can still drop one less.
- Fixed blue slimes being automatically angry upon spawning.
- Potion recipe now uses 2 Mushrooms and a Beetle Husk instead of 2 Mushrooms and 2 Gel.
Final final stat counts: 8190 tokens, 42569/65535 chars, 99.34% compressed size
so uuuhhmm... this happened. this happened only fighting with EoC tho, idk why or how, just summoned him and he did... that. i think this are his servants, because not a single EoC servant appeared in the 2 fights i tested this, only this king slitera thing. i killed this things and it dropped "need more materials". i don't think it does something tho, other than looking cool, like i have an item that is impossible to get by any other means. anyway, the beetles and the bats just... don't exist i guess? i can't shoot them, they can't damage me, and i can only attack them with the sword. and the sprites are missing also, i can only track them down with a gun. (going kind of offtopic now, i can spawn plantera in the jungle biome (not a cave) and leave the jungle to my arena, in the forest. and it's bizarre that the bugs find me, not i that find them. i was just doing a normal playthrough, and these bugs just appeared)
@cubee soz for the ping, but i just had an idea on how u could add a lot more content to the game. Idk if this idea is feasible, but I was lookin through the code, and I noticed a lot of the content is stored in lists. So what you could do is store a large string in either the player or world save files, and then split it back into a list for the game to run. The downside is u would have to make an extra cart or initially tell users to add it to their saves on the first run, but u could probably nearly double the content!
Oh interesting, the mob string for the EoC's servants accidentally got replaced with Plantera's in Sup3rAw3som3Gam3r's mod, which I used as a base. Fixed.
Ever had that moment where you set width and height to zero and wonder where the sprites went? That's what happened here. Fixed.
Aaand that's why I disabled btnp() repeat in the first place. It's simple enough to enable it only while in the inventory, however. Fixed.
Bugfix update coming shortly!
1.3.2b: Return of the bugfix letters.
- Fixed EoC's servants being Plantera due to an oversight in the mob string translations.
- Bats, Slimes, and Beetles are no longer invisible due to width/height being zero.
- Fixed BTNP() repeat causing all items to technically have autoswing after the 1.3.2 update.
- Removed a function that was used in only one spot. (8185 tokens)
- One sprite slot was freed up by rearranging the HUD sprites.
Stat counts: 8185 tokens, 42540/65535 chars, 99.32% compressed size
idea: what if you broke the game into multiple carts:
(not quite sure how it would work, just an idea)
Main cart [plr sprite, ui sprites]
Item cart [item sprites]
enemy cart[enemy sprites]
boss cart?[boss sprites]
mapgen cart[tile sprites]
You could multicart it but then you wouldn't be able to upload it to the bbs.. could always share cdata with other carts to store data but that wouldn't make much sense for this.
(or maybe the memory loading thing though not sure if that works on the bbs... maybe does? but then would have to have loading time so eh)
Early on I considered splitting it into a "menu and world generation" cart and a "game cart", with the game cart free of the world generation code, and even made a little prototype for the idea that included character customisation.
It was originally intended to be a way of freeing up tokens in order to implement saving and loading, then PICO-8 0.2.4 was announced and I decided to wait for that to release.
And then I managed to fit it all into one cart!
After a little tweaking, the multicart version does work on the BBS.
Game cart (depends on the menu cart to provide the world data):
I don't think I'll go into multicart now, but people are free to make world and character creators/editors now that they are stored externally and their formats are documented in the main post.
1.3.2c: Block bug fixes
- Fixed blocks having no autoswing. (May not be neccessary, bug cause was found next)
- Reverted a change that made blocks lose their fast placement speed, making building incredibly hard to do.
- Added a secret feature. (Please don't reveal it if you figure it out, I have a plan for when I'll do so myself)
- This does include a minor save file format change, however, it appears to be compatible with existing saves.
- Various token optimisations.
Stat counts: 8183 tokens, 42618/65535 chars, 99.46% compressed size
@cubee sorry for the extra comment but I love the menu cart along with the character customization! (I would like grey colors added in for hair/clothes/shoes/pants though.) The game cart works fine and the character animations are perfect, for a moment I thought it'd be odd with the character edited, but you impressed me once again as always! I was honestly not expecting all of the editing to be available, the different voice option as well was surprising... One thing I would like to say is that there isn't music or a bg in the game cart, is it an older ver?
Last thing, promise, can a custom char file be put into the main cart or not??
Fixed mobs not spawning.
@ Agent Tom
Yes, that is an old version of the game from before music was added, I probably should have mentioned that.
What do you mean by "custom character file"? In the old multicart version or the current normal version, with edited inventory or custom sprites?
What is this bug you found?
1.3.3: Some world generation changes
- A slight update to the secret feature. This includes another minor save file format change, but it's still compatible with existing saves. (Wonder if anyone's figured it out yet?)
- The player now respawns with half health to prevent "death healing".
- Caves can now go off the edge of the map, meaning that there should no longer be lines of emptiness at the world edges.
- Fixed a bug where the world would only generate one surface cave, and they can now also generate in the corruption.
- Generation order modified so corrupt chasms generate after surface caves.
- The Jungle and Corruption now generate all the way to the edges of the world on their respective sides.
Stat counts: 8192 tokens, 42510/65535 chars, 99.42% compressed size
Happy New Year!
v1.3.3c: Sort of giving in to multicart: the Custom Character Cart!
- The secret feature from recent updates is the ability to load custom character sprites! (Via load parameter and from save files)
- Use the Character Creator cart to generate a new save file with the sprite data for your character!
- Re-added the higher pitched hurt sound, and added a new lower pitched hurt sound. (Both only accessible via the Character Creator)
- This update enables loading the Character Creator from within the main cart.
EDIT: New characters in standalone v1.3.3b were broken, v1.3.3c fixed that.
The Main Cart is still completely standalone, ignoring the Character Creator will just leave you with the default Terra Guy as before, and as such this update adds nothing for single-cart users.
If you've got any suggestions for character customisation options, feel free to post them.
Stat counts: 8188/8192 tokens, 42609/65535 characters, 99.72% compressed size.
Here's the Character Creator cartridge, if you want to have a look at it.
[Please log in to post a comment]