Follow
thtroyer
Cleaning up the Road
by
[ :: Read More :: ]

Simple prototype, not much of a game yet.

Cart #picokeepyuppy_d1-0 | 2023-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Github link here: https://github.com/thtroyer/PicoKeepyUppy

P#139204 2023-12-26 17:44

I've been experimenting with wave function collapse a bit, got some basics working, and wanted to share the results.

Restart the cart or press X to run the map generation again.

The rules so far are hard-coded and unsophisticated. As of now, there are a number of rules defined about which tiles can border which, without regards to direction.

I'm still experimenting and planning to add more complex rules with the ability to handle lining up mixed color tiles properly. There's also an issue with top-left tile always being black, but haven't tracked that down yet.

I'm also working on a snowball game, so you can hit Z/circle to get a glimpse of that as well.

Cart #yipihahuf-0 | 2023-01-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#124313 2023-01-14 22:40

Cleaning up the Road

A simple, kid-friendly 2-player PICO-8 game.

Cart #cleaninguptheroad-1 | 2022-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Goal of the game is to pick up and drop/throw trash into the trash bin on the left side of the screen.

Controls:

PICO-8 controller:

D-pad to move

X to pick up

O to throw

Start for menu

Keyboard

Player 1: Arrow keys = D-pad, X = Pickup/drop, Z = throw

Player 2: ESDF = D-pad, Q = Pickup/drop, W = throw

P/Enter key - console menu

About

Inspired by other PICO-8 games made by parents with their children, I asked my young daughter if she wanted to make a game with me. "Yes!"
"What should it be about?" "We would be cleaning garbage off the road."
"And what should we call it?" "Cleaning up the road!"

This game is the eventual result after trying a bunch of ideas, testing, and tweaking. It is not a hard game, appropriate for young kids to learn how controllers work. With so many games being too difficult for preschool age, I erred on the side of simpler and easier.

This is my first PICO-8 project and my first released video game. Enjoy!

Make sure your kids understand the dangers of roads.

Github repository for this project here.

Menu options

• Music can be toggled on/off
  • Controls can be swapped for player 1 and 2.
P#122182 2022-12-27 20:34 ( Edited 2022-12-27 20:51)