Mayhem is my PICO-8 remake of Julian Gollop's 1985 masterpiece: Chaos Battle of Wizards. It is a game I have tried and failed to make many times, but it looks like maybe this time was the charm! I did not blindly remake the original game. Instead, I have taken heavy inspiration from it while trying to make it my own.
This is the first fully playable beta release (v1.0.0b1). Unfortunately, I ran out of tokens for adding AI players, but you should be able to have some hot-seat fun with a friend or three.
- 2020/08/22 (v1.0.0b1):
- First completely playable version of the game.
- Hot seat only (I ran out of tokens to do AI as well).
- Walking & flying movement.
- Primitive combat (attacker always wins for now for easy testing).
- Winner screen.
- Iterated a few times on selection and movement look & feel.
- Initial work on the main game - turn structure outlined.
- Added Balrog
- Added Imp
- Tweaks for Pegasus and Wraith
- Added title screen with logo text.
- Added bestiary mode to test sprite identifiability.
- Changed initial mode into the showcase, showing all sprites for one player.
- Some small sprite tweaks based on feedback.
- Good tree
- Evil tree
- Neutral tree
- Dark tower
- Gooey blob
You wake up in a magical grove at the center of the forest. You have been here many times before, but somehow it always looks different. Most plants seem to grow and die more quickly than normal as you move about, but the trees around the grove all seem old and well-worn. They seem to exude a sense of safety and peace, but you sense that they may be more fragile than they seem. You set out to explore, certain that the forest still hides many wonders...
- Move: Arros
- Open Spells Menu: X
- Use Action: C
- Options: ENTER
2020.04.26 - V4:
A small bug fix / balance tweak for the jam version as we noticed the more interesting late game content wasn’t spawning and squirrels had about a 25% chance to be useless for a good long while.
- (balance) Increase danger check frequency between 200->150 and 300->200 turns.
- (balance) Increase chance to spawn danger by 10->30% if no hit, so you are guaranteed to see danger after about 450-600 turns.
- (bug) Added flower formations to the W and E, otherwise your squirrel would sometimes spend a long time running left and right without finding any seeds.
2020.04.20 - V3:
The original jam entry without any fixes. If you consider the changes in V4 too much to be fair please rate us on V3 instead by downloading that (web is V4).
Our first game for PICO-8 is a simple roguelike that asks the question, you started with nothing... will you end with nothing?
Made in less than 72 hours for Ludum Dare 45.
- Move: Arrows
- Select: C
- Fix: Crash when buying from the shopkeeper on the turn he would disappear.
- Balance: Cloak cost reduced from 20 to 15.
- Balance: Sword cost increased from 20 to 30.
- Cosmetic improvement to message text (2 pixel left-pad to make it more readable on web).