Follow
SuperSpaceHero
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #tinymalcrossing-3 | 2021-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tinymal Crossing

A very early start to what I guess could be called a "demake" of the first Animal Crossing on the N64/GameCube.

This started life last year as a modification of Oli414's "Pico Crossing", so while there have been a fair amount of changes to it, you can still see the blood of the original in places. Work on making it its own thing has been fairly on and off, so if someone sees the potential to build off of/improve it, then do what you want with it.

What the game has

• A working real-time day-night cycle, similar to that of the GBC Pokémon games. To change the appearance to night, the colors are replaced with darker shades, usually from the hidden palette.

• Seasonal changes to the appearance of the world, all using the original game's dates to determine when these changes happen. Cherry blossoms, autumn leaves, and snow are done by replacing colors on the map and world sprites with the appropriate ones for that time of year.

• Procedurally placed trees, flowers, and rocks. At the moment, holes and weeds are also being placed.

• A random selection of animal villagers roam the "town". Current species are ducks, cats, goats, frogs, eagles, mice, ostriches/peacocks, and dogs. By replacing colors of markings on their heads, it is possible to make a fairly wide variety of villagers using only 3 sprites for each species.
  • Random greetings from the villagers, based on the time of day and that villager's personality. Many personalities have placeholder greetings currently, due to not yet having found a way to categorize the ripped dialogue.

• An inventory...mostly. I don't remember if I ever got items to pick up properly, but there aren't any items to pick up at the moment, anyway. To pause/unpause, press both Z and X together.

• A decent amount of the visual/audio stuff a game like this would need. Many sprites are based on those from Animal Island and the GBA minigames.

What I'd like to add/see someone add

• A system for loading the dialogue (and probably also the villagers) externally. I looked into this, but never found the time to actually implement it.

• A system for generating the town using "acres" created from strings.

• A flexible system for furniture items. To save on space, this might be best done by having a collection of generic sprites that are used to "build" a variety of furniture sprites.

• The ability to save/load your town - the placement of objects, the villagers living there, player stats, etc.

I'm not sure if there's anything someone might find useful from this - a lot of optimization is needed, and a great deal of things still need any sort of implementation. However, as stated earlier, feel free to do something with it for yourself if you see anything of use.

P#94896 2021-07-15 08:19 ( Edited 2021-07-15 18:49)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 15:51:30 | 0.067s | Q:9